Thursday, May 28, 2015

Easy Fruit Salad

I was working on some more recipes for Annie's personal cookbook (you can read about it here) and had to add this wonderful gem.



 I added this fruit salad recipe for several reasons:

1. I grew up with it as a kid - it was a recipe that started with my Gram making it often when we would visit, so it reminds me of her and her home.

2. It's very easy - which is always a wonderful thing.

3. It's been a great salad that I've taken to pot lucks and showers before with lots of praise and success.

4. Kids especially seem to love it. Great kid friendly flavors!

I haven't made it recently, so I don't have any photos. It's so yummy and the biggest thing to remember is it's not one that can hang around for days, as after about a day the bananas get pretty brown. But it's got a wonderful sweet, almost tropical taste, that's very addicting! The secret is the "Tang" orange powder drink mix. That ingredient makes this fruit salad taste as it does. Unfortunately, if you don't have Tang you really don't have this fruit salad. Here's a closer view of the recipe card:


11 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and I love this book! Where did you find it? I started one a few years back, but haven't caught up with it in awhile...need to find time to do so.
    Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. I got the book & kit through Creative Memories, but it was quite a long time ago and I don't know if they have something like it anymore?But maybe they have something similar.....or you could find something similar in a craft store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby or and Archivers store if you have those?

      Happy weekend to you sweet Lady! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Sounds lovely! My son has taken to eating his fruit salad with custard! And it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably very similar to this too Helen! It really has that nice creamy custard texture. It's really yummy and i'm 8 years old again whenever I eat it. ;)

      Happy weekend my darling Gal!! xoxo

      Delete
  3. This sounds good! The fruit salad from my childhood was always a hit too, but weirdly enough it only had fruit in it ;) I like the addition of pudding into the salad, not sure if we can still get Tang crystals here. Making up a cookbook for your girl is a great idea. I keep thinking of that for my kids, but have never started it. I'll probably just forget it and they can do like I did and 20 years from now they can ask their mom for that recipe from way back when.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy!
      You know I haven't made this in a while and not sure how much Tang is out there anymore either. But it sure makes the perfect flavoring in this salad so I hope it is still available!

      I'm so excited about Annie's album - it's just a way to be a little more organized as my recipe box is a hot mess. Lol But just asking Mom for the recipe always works too. ;)

      Happy weekend to you Hon! xo

      Delete
  4. Oh yum! Looks great - I'm saving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so yummy Mari and could not be easier! I just hope Tang is still around - I haven't made this in a while.

      Happy weekend Doll! xo

      Delete
  5. No Tang here, so I won't be making this one, but it sounds great! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bummer Amy! I imagine that it would still be a yummy salad (can't really go wrong), but there is a distinctive taste the Tang gives it.
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Oh! I've just spotted Tang on Amazon - problem solved! Fruit salad always reminds me of when we visited hubby's godmother's house and her partner, trying to be helpful, made a fruit salad and used sour grapefruit juice in it. Of course none of the kids would eat it!! xx

    ReplyDelete