Thursday, May 14, 2015

Cream of Chicken Soup

Well this week has not been very Spring-like, so comfort food seems to be more appreciated on the menu.  So today I thought I'd share the cream of chicken soup I made the other day. It was so creamy and comforting! If you're having some chilly weather I'd say this soup hits the spot.




First of all chop 1&1/2 cups carrots, 1 cup celery and 1/2 cup onion and cook in 1/2 cup butter for about 15 minutes until veggies are soft.  Then sprinkle in 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp flour and cook & stir veggies with flour another 2 minutes. Then add 7 cups chicken broth. I actually halved this recipe as I didn't have that much chicken broth/stock on hand and it still turned out perfect. Bring the broth to boiling stirring constantly.  

Then stir in 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley, 1/2 tsp dried thyme (crushed) and 1 bay leaf.  It will look like this pic above. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 15 minutes.



Then add in shredded chicken (about 3 cups). I used a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Bring soup back to boiling.



Then turn to simmer and stir in 1/2 cup whipping cream and 2&1/2 tsp dry sherry.

Here I'm stirring in the cream. MMmmmm. Then take out bay leaf and salt & pepper to taste - dig in! 


And if you want to make your dinner even better bake some biscuits. Cut them in half and top with some black forest ham, cheese and romaine lettuce. 




Make a topping for the biscuit with dijon mustard, mayo and honey.

Spread onto top of biscuit (& add a bit more honey if you're like me)

And enjoy your delicious soup and sandwich!

**soup recipe from Super Suppers2 cookbook.

12 comments:

  1. YUMMMMM!
    I am all about this one, Carrie!
    Thank you. Thank You. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was REALLY good Billie Jo. My Father-in-law made sure I knew how much he liked it so I make it more regularly. ;)

      Delete
  2. You're making me hungry! Everything looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thx Mari. This soup really is excellent. Love sharing our yummy recipes back & forth!
      Xoxo

      Delete
  3. That soup looks delicious! Putting it in my recipe book to try :-) Have a great weekend!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy Jill! It's a keeper. ;)
      Happy weekend. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I will have to try it!! Have a wonderful weekend, I'm hoping it doesn't rain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it my Carrie-girl! It's a good one. Hope you have a great weekend too. Rain in our forecast sadly. xo

      Delete
  5. Oooh wow...cream of chicken soup and sandwiches! Now I'm getting hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a really yummy recipe too Bethany! Sometimes there's nothing better than a good soup & sandwich is there?
      xo

      Delete
  6. Ooh that looks so good! I'm going to try this later for dinner! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy Alison! It's a really yummy recipe. xoxo

      Delete