Monday, May 25, 2015

Happy Homemaker Monday

HHM

Hope everyone celebrating Memorial weekend is enjoying this bonus day off today! It's been a nice weekend at home here. We accomplished a lot of tasks this weekend: including I finally got my little veggie trug and Annie & I planted our veggie garden - yay!! I also planted my herbs and the majority of my flower pots outside, and none too soon as our weekend went from lovely weather to lots of rain today. That's ok, though, as my allergies could use a break from the outdoor blooming things. Lol  My ears felt so full on Saturday that it was even making me dizzy! (or at least more than usual - haha).  We also had yummy food on the grill, played family games, and the kiddos have had a lot of fun playing with friends. All in all a great weekend.



THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

Rainy and gray. Temp in the 50's. I guess it's a cozy day of indoor activities today. Our weeks really have been lovely, it just seems that Monday's are like clock work and rain. Lol  It really stinks, though, as my hubby and I were supposed to have started our Monday golf league together and of course we haven't been able to do that thanks to rainy Mondays! Ggrrrr!!


ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

I made a nice yummy brunch for my family this morning of eggs, toast, sausage and breakfast potatoes. Yum!! I had vanilla ice coffee. 


  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

Even among the rain I see how beautiful and green it is and I can see some of my flowers that just glow with brightness in the rain, and that makes me even happier that I got all that planting done yesterday! 


RIGHT NOW I AM:

Enjoying a little time in my cozy office. My hubby is starting to tackle some house chores (God bless him on his day off) and my son and daughter already have friends over to play. I'm trying to decide what to do with my day (besides house chores too). I'm thinking I may do some scrapbooking. I, also, head a carnival committee on the PTA at my daughter's school and I have some work to do related to that - as it's their big school event of the year and it's coming up soon!!


AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

I need to do some laundry (yes as always) and some other tidying up but over all it's not too bad. My kiddo's are already putting their clothes away.  I need to water my plants indoors too. And I obviously don't have to worry about the one's outdoors. Ha! I have all of my summer decorations out now which make me happy. I'll share photos of summer around here in the days ahead. 



ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

I'm going to work on the things I've mentioned. My kiddos are going to hang with their friends and enjoy their free day.  My hubby is going to pop in his office for a bit (that's what happens when you own your own companies) and I'm going to scrap and maybe read a bit and just relax. We don't really have graves to visit and bring Memorial boxes or flowers to - as many do on this day or weekend. I know my in-law's went the other day and brought flowers to their parents' and some relatives' graves. I do take time out to do my devotional and say a special prayer for all of our service men and women. Especially my brother who is in the special forces in the army (he's a combat medic in the green berets). Thankfully he's almost ready to retire and is spending his final year or so more state side. I know my patient saint of a sister-in-law is very happy about that! He's done  several tours in Iraq and Afghanistan  - and all over the world. He's been shot once and has earned many medals.  I've had to color many gray hairs on my head thanks to worrying over him for the past 20 years!! But he truly is my hero and I'm so proud of him.



CURRENTLY READING:

I have several new magazines to gobble up. I'm looking at a next book to read on my ipad but not sure which one yet. And I'm going to look through some cookbooks for some meal ideas for the week. 



ON THE TV TODAY:

I haven't even looked at what I have taped. I'm sure I have Outlander and Game of Thrones and some cooking shows. I just haven't watched too much t.v. this weekend but have been enjoying the outdoors instead. However, my son & I love the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies and we finally rented and watched the final Hobbit movie on our big screen downstairs the other night. Popcorn and movie night always fun on a holiday weekend. 


ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

I really have no plan yet. I don't take care of my MIL today which is usually my menu and shopping day. Instead I'm taking a break - so the menu remains a mystery! Lol I know I'm going to make chicken & egg salad sandwiches around here for dinner later and maybe bake some cookies since it's cooler outside.  



WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

My daughter and I planted our veggies in our new little veggie trug (will share photos in the future) so we planted some lettuce, a little cabbage plant my daughter got at school, red pepper, cucumber, and sugar snap peas. That's about all the room we had - but we'll give it a go and see what happens. If we have success and enjoy it maybe another trug will show up next summer for more goodies! I also planted some pots on my deck that have cilantro, parsley, mint and lemon basil. 



NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

AGain - mystery menu this week so not sure yet.



TIP OF THE WEEK:

It's amazing to me how much tidier my home feels if I just make sure the beds are made up every day. My teenager's room is sometimes no man's land and I just keep the door closed, but I make up our bed as soon as I get up every morning and my daughter often is good about hers, or else I do it if she was in a hurry to school. Just having those rooms put together  first thing feels like it's 2 rooms off the list for the day. 


FROM THE CAMERA:
Here's a few of the pots I planted over the weekend next to our old bench. I ordered a new bench that will come soon and my Mom is taking this one. But I'm keeping my nice bright pillows - love them for summer!


PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:


God's blessings and peace on all the service men and women, past and present, and their families. I'm so thankful for the gift of freedom!

I'm linking with Sandra of Diary of a SAHM for Happy Homemaker Monday.

12 comments:

  1. Love that picture - what a cozy setting. Sounds like you had a productive weekend and have another busy week ahead. Can't wait to see those garden pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamy! Garden photos will come soon. ;)
      Hope you're having a lovely holiday weekend!! xoxo

      Delete
  2. So many great and happy things happening at your house! The garden will be beautiful I am sure and you will enjoy growing and eating your veggies!! Hope you got to enjoy the extra day with your husband and family! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Amy! It was a wonderful and productive weekend. ;)
      xo

      Delete
  3. It's looking so pretty!
    It started dreary here too, but this afternoon the sun came out.
    Thanks to your brother for his many years of service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks Mari. It means a lot. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Love visits with you here!!!
    Your days sound much like mine. : )
    We had a pleasant day...and now I'm parked on the couch!!!
    Have a great week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the couch is the nicest place to be. Lol ;)
      Happy week to you! xo

      Delete
  5. I was hoping to start a veggie garden this year, but I think it will have to wait and I'll love vicariously through you,

    You always seem to get a lot done, in spite of taking care of so many people. I know you must be happy your brother will finally be home and safe, but not as happy as his wife I'm sure, it's not easy being a military wife.

    Glad you and your family had a well deserved fun weekend!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you sweetheart Doreen! It may seem like a lot of busy work, but that's actually the stuff that keeps me sane so I can go take care of other folks. ;)

      Amen to how we feel about my Bro being stateside hopefully for GOOD!!

      Hope you had a great weekend too & happy week ahead. xo

      Delete
  6. Love these posts of yours, Carrie. Love the description of outside your window, and what a beautiful last photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen!! Hope you have a wonderful week ahead. xoxo

      Delete