Saturday, May 23, 2015

Scraptastic Saturday:Sweet & Salty Munchie Mix

Today I'm joining Andrea at Scrapality for Scraptastic Saturday to bring you sweet and salty munchie mix. You can also click on the link in my right hand column.

This mix is a perfect snack for summer to bring along to picnics or to have around if you're throwing a BBQ party - or really to enjoy any time because it's SO good! I must warn you, though, that it's highly addicting!! So don't blame me for any added pounds. Lol


I've had the recipe for this mix for many years. It's a mix that family friends of my in-law's would always bring to any party or gathering. My in-law's used to have fun trivial pursuit parties and we'd have pizzas and treats and always this snack. So in our circles we actually refer to it as Irena munchie mix as that was the first name of the wife of the couple that hung out with my in-law's. I just call it GOOD!!



First of all take some mixed nuts. I always double this recipe (it goes so fast if you have a group) so I use 2 cans of mixed nuts. I will share the full recipe at the end of this post.


Then mix them with melted butter, parmesan cheese, and seasonings in a large bowl. 






It will look like the above photo. Then spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake it for about 15 minutes.




Then add the magical ingredient that makes this whole mix perfection. Yes, golden grahams my friend are the perfect sweet to go with the salty cheesy mixed nuts.  I usually put the golden grahams in a really large bowl (you may need to mix in 2 bowls) and then pour the hot mixed nut mixture over the top of them and then mix.




Then once it's all blended give the mix a little time to cool and blend flavors. Then dig in and enjoy the best mix ever!! It will keep for several days in a really good sealed container (or two if you make double). Bring this and a pitcher of sangria to a summer party and you will be a hit!!


Sweet & Salty Munchie Mix:

Again this is how I always make this recipe but you could easily cut it in half as this is a double batch.

2 cans mixed nuts
1/2 cup of butter (1 stick), melted
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp each: garlic powder, oregano and celery salt
12 c. golden grahams (I don't really measure I just use either a whole smaller box of cereal or 3/4 of a bigger box)

Directions: preheat oven to 300*.  Melt butter and set aside. In large bowl mix 2 cans of mixed nuts with the parmesan and cheese and seasonings. Pour butter over mixture and stir to coat. Pour nut mixture onto cookie sheet and spread it evenly. Bake at 300* for 15 minutes and stir a couple times during cooking. Pour warm mixed nuts over golden grahams and stir all together. Keep in airtight container for several days.





12 comments:

  1. My son loves these kind of snacks. He's not eating full meals so well at the moment, which is kind of worrying, as he has football practice four times a week......this seems like it'll get some protein in him (hopefully he'd nibble on it whilst he's watching a film in the evening...). Thanks! (You always post such great recipes! It might become known as 'Carrie's snack' around here!).....I can't get Grahams, though, so will have to find another sweet replacement.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - that it would get some protein in him. If he's at least eating lots of healthy snacks throughout the day that could be just as good as full meals. Boy football sounds as demanding as lots of hockey!

      I bet there would be a lot of other sweet kinds of cereals that would work well in place of the grahams.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. This sounds yummy! I'm pinning it - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's truly a flavor combination that works beautifully (and is so addicting!) Lol
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Sounds great!!! A good way to make a tasty snack for a large group of people too!! Very addictive though I imagine... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just one of those perfect mixes for game night with friends, sports day on t.v., family picnics - you name it! ;)
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious! Thanks for stopping by my blog and checking out the giveaway :-) You had mentioned Etsy in your comment and I love that site as well. Love supporting the arts of any kind. :-) Have a wonderful day!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill. I'm with you all the way in supporting the arts! Yay for creativity! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Oh that looks good, and easy to make for a crowd, although with my son around, it wouldn't last very long at all! He must be growing again as he's just eating and eating! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those too Alison (teenage eating machine). ;)
      This mix truly is perfect for a crowd and fun gathering!
      xoxo

      Delete