Thursday, January 15, 2015

Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs

I love just about anything BBQ. Especially in the summer time when something is cooking on the grill and then you baste it all over with barbeque sauce and have it with fresh corn on the cob, watermelon, a nice salad and iced tea. Does it get better? Now I'm longing for a lovely summer day and my grill, and I still have SOOO long to wait. Sigh.

Anyway, I love cooking BBQ ribs even in the winter and it couldn't be easier when I just throw them in my slow cooker. And of course I think it's always nice to use seasonings and things that you like or have on hand, so use what you have - this is just the easy way I get them cooking.


First of all I chopped up about 1/2 an onion. If you want more onion feel free. Also, if you like garlic you can chop up a clove of that too - I just didn't have any at that moment. Then start heating up some oil and butter in a pan at medium high temp. You want to get it hot to sear the meat.




I often like bone in country style ribs, but this time I went boneless (I think they were actually on sale). Liberally salt and pepper ribs (you could use seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder - whatever makes your ribs happy). But I just use plain old salt and pepper. Place in hot butter/oil seasoned side down and liberally season other side. Sear until nice and brown on each side (only couple minutes each side).



While the ribs are browning put some BBQ sauce in the bottom of your slow cooker. You could do a favorite already bottled sauce or a homemade one. Here's a yummy homemade BBQ sauce by one of my favorites - Ree Drummond the pioneer woman.  Remove ribs from pan. Then take your chopped onion (& garlic if you like) and brown for a bit in the bottom of the pan you seared the meat in. Make sure you scrape up all the yummy brown stuff from the bottom when you toss the onions around to get all the yummy flavor.




 Then put your ribs on top of the BBQ sauce in your slow cooker. Place the browned onions all over the top. Top with more of your sauce.


Cook on low for about 7-8 hours for boneless and at least 8 hours or so for bone- in ribs. I was a dummy and didn't take the after pic, but these are always so good and just fall apart because they're so tender when I take them out. That's the wonderful part about a slow cooker - when you cook low and slow your food usually will stay moist and get really tender.  We had ours with corn on the cob (of course had to be frozen) and green beans and an easy pasta side dish.  And I had peach iced tea!! A little taste of summer in the middle of winter!



8 comments:

  1. That sounds wonderful! I love using my crock pot and anything by the Pioneer Woman is always good, so I know wed' like the sauce. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so bad because I do this every year - crave summer flavors in winter!! Lol. I just love my crockpot too. Makes life so easy!

      Delete
  2. Ok, maybe I shouldn't have read this post at this exact time. I'm already hungry enough to eat a bison singlehandedly, now I'm over the edge! Hubby better hurry up and get dressed so we can go out to eat pronto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny Doreen! I'd send you a batch right over if I could. ;)
      Have a great night out & have something extra yummy!

      Delete
  3. Mmm - It's made me feel hungry now too! Slow cookers are great, aren't they? I've got dinner in mine as I write! Have a super weekend, lovely lady! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My slow cooker is my favorite trusty friend & has never let me down. Hope your dinner was really yummy! ;)

      Delete
  4. These sound really great and a great way to cook them too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Amy. I think these are my fave way to make them as they get the most tender this way without drying out.

      Delete