Saturday, January 10, 2015

Victorian Birthday Card made from Scraps

I was belated on sending a birthday card to a relative recently, and I wanted to get it mailed quickly that morning as I knew it would then be delivered at least a little more timely.  So instead of going to buy a card I dug through my scrapbook supplies to see what I could put together. I have a set of natural cards and matching envelopes and I think they make a perfect back drop for any style card.

When I'm making a card for someone I like to use decorative pieces that I think will speak to them. Whether it be something that looks like their "style" or elements of things they enjoy.

In this case it was for an Aunt of my hubby's and I know she likes kind of a Victorian style.

Keeping that in mind I used a paper that reminded me of something that could almost be an old wallpaper and I tore the edges for a softer look. I took the part I tore off and flipped it over to use the other side of the paper as my left border piece. I then found a roll of lace that I had and glued that along the edge - as the tea stained look of the lace spoke Victorian to me and it matched my natural card underneath.  I then found a flower I had and I liked how it added extra color and some dimension and different texture. I wrote "january" on the outside as I thought it would fill out the space nicely...and it went with my inside message you'll see next. I finished by using some Victorian stickers I had on the outside of the card and inside.

 
 

Here is a Victorian sticker on the inside and then I wrote a little message on the top to bring together the whole intent of the card.  Before I mailed the card I wrote our personal birthday message to her.

 
 
 

And of course one more Victorian sticker on the outside envelope for extra cuteness!  Just a quick simple project to send a little love, and hopefully a smile, to a family member.

I'm linking with Andrea at Scrapality for Scraptastic Saturday

 
 
 



10 comments:

  1. It's really cute! I bet she loved receiving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks Mari! You always make my day xoxo

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful card - and I am sure your aunt (hubby's aunt) appreciated it very much! I also make cards - didn't start out that way...I am a scrapbooker - but have been making cards now for a few years. Scrapbooking is still my #1 choice; but I always have a stash of hand-made cards on hand, ready to be sent out...thanks for sharing this beautiful on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara! I've started making more cards over the past year. Scrapbooking has always been my #1 as well, so I didn't give has much time to extra projects...but I've been bitten by the inspiration bug more lately and have enjoyed branching out to some other things.

      Happy weekend to you lovely Lady! xo

      Delete
  3. Now that is a neat and beautiful project! I love collecting cards...and my collection is always changing as I mail out some, and buy more. At least it's an inexpensive indulgence! It's been a while since I've made one myself though; you did a lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany. I love cards too! And I always have...even when I was a little girl I loved looking at them or pretending to write to others (even when all I could do was scribble) Lol

      I've only more recently started making more of my own and a lot of it comes from the fact that it's handy, as I always have scrapbooking supplies around but not always cards - thus just make my own. But I've been enjoying the creative process of making my own more and more. I highly recommend it for fun and a creative outlet. ;)

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely card! It is always nice to receive a card that someone has made with you in mind, the perfect gift! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Amy! Anything made from the heart is a truly worth while project and gift. xo

      Delete
  5. I could a LOT of cards out of my stash and I should. I've been so busy working on my house that I've neglected my scrap stash. Oh, well, someday! Your card is beautiful. Thanks for linking up this week. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved looking at all of your home projects. You have been a busy Gal!!

      But I hope when you get free time again you'll get to use up all of those scraps. I've been loving making cards & other side projects lately. But I need to get my family albums caught up. Lol

      Delete