Thursday, January 8, 2015

Snowy Day and Brown Sugar Chili

Well it's not as cold today (thank goodness!) but it's snowing up a storm.  My world is finally really getting covered in white. I think they're predicting potentially 3 inches today.

 

Here's a peek at my bay as it begins to whiten up.

A hockey stick - discarded at the moment, but will be ready for action again soon. We have a lot of these lying around.

 
 

Frosty stairs.  Mind your step!

 
 

The winter wonderland has begun once more.

 
 

Well if you want to stay out here and explore some more, you better bring a nice hot mug of cocoa and marshmallows with you.

 
 

When you come back in from the cold how about a nice bowl of comforting brown sugar chili?  I love this chili because it's sweet and spicy - or you get some "sweet heat" as they say.

 
 

Or I think it's even more fun to have it in a bag over fritos.  At the hockey rinks the concession stands often serve something called a "walking taco". It's where you take a little bag of doritos, crush them up a bit, and then put taco meat and all the fixings right in the bag over the chips. They give you a plastic spoon and then you're on your way with your "walking taco" in hand to go watch your son or daughter's hockey game.  I used that idea and did "walking chili" I guess. It's just kind of fun and I love corn chips with chili. Great for football game day on the weekend too! Here's the recipe:

BROWN SUGAR CHILI

1 & 1/2 pounds ground beef

1/2 onion, chopped

1/2 green pepper, chopped

1 can (15 oz) baked beans

1 can (15 oz) chili beans, mild or hot your preference

1/2 to 1 can red kidney beans (I like less as I don't care for these beans as much)

1 to 2 Tbsp brown sugar (to your taste) I usually go sweeter

1 to 2Tbsp chili powder (to your taste) I like to go spicier

salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (all to your taste)

In large sauce pan, or dutch oven, brown ground beef over medium high heat for about 5 minutes or until getting browned. Drain as needed. Stir in onion and green pepper and saute for about 5 more mins. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne to your taste. Add the beans, brown sugar and chili powder. Taste as you go - increasing the flavors as needed.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for up to an hour depending on the time you have or how thick you like your chili.

Serve over rice. Or serve in a bowl and top with sour cream and shredded cheddar and crackers. Or enjoy it "walking chili" style. Open small bag of fritos, crush up chips a bit, and pour chili over top and add fixings and dig in!

Enjoy some good comfort food today because:

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 



11 comments:

  1. Your property definitely looks like a winter wonderland, Carrie! I enjoy looking at snow, as long as I don't have to drive it. : ) I love having a hot coco myself on a cold winter afternoon. Your chili looks delicious. I've been making mine in the crockpot on the weekend. I have not tried it with fritos, but one time I think we had some doritos on the side.

    Thanks for your input on my paint colors for the master bedroom. I have eliminated two already and hope to get it down to the one choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comments Kathy!
      Chili is just the perfect comfort food this time of year, isn't it? I can't wait to see what you decide for paint colors so I'll be staying tuned.
      Best of luck with your project. xo

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of the walking taco for when you are out and about! I love chilli too, but never thought of adding sugar to it, great idea though! I sometimes add some dark chocolate to chilli - just a tiny bit - and that makes it yummy too, so I guess it is the same idea as the sugar to add sweetness and depth of flavour. The snow pictures look beautiful, but very cold!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're exactly right Amy, something that adds that sweet and different depth of flavor. I've seen dark chocolate added on recipes but haven't tried it- I just may need to do that next time.
      Hope 2015 is being cozy and warm to you! xo

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing...I LOVE the beautiful snowy pictures!! "Baby it's cold outside" here in Florida - but no snow here for us!!! It's in the 40's I think...for us, that is COLD!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny Barbara, as I think I'd put on shorts and do a dance if we hit 40's in any way! I just have to save that for Spring. I'll gladly share my snowy pretty with you - if you just send a little warmth to me. ;)

      Delete
  4. Such a peaceful and beautiful view you have! I grew up on a pond in New England and couldn't wait for it to freeze over so we could skate! Here in Washington State we don't get cold enough weather for ice skating. I miss those days. I love your chili recipe and I am going to write it down and try it. I love that it has a little sweet to go with the hot. I especially love the idea of putting it in the bag of Frito's! How fun! Keep cozy, my friend and thanks for the recipe! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love sweet heat too Karen - so hope you enjoy!

      We just need it to warm up a little more around here so we can go out and play and enjoy the pretty. Think it's not predicted to do that for a while yet. The years we have enough snow my hubby builds up a great extra "boost" to the hill all the way up to one of the benches on the deck and it's like a sledding ramp for our kiddos to sled down the hill. They just love it and it's so fun to watch them! (& take a ride or 2 ourselves).

      xo

      Delete
  5. Beautiful snow pics!! Definitely going to try the Chili recipe...my twins love Fritos in their Chili...wish I would of made some tonight for dinner, we are FREEZING over here. Single digits and negative wind chills...brrrr. But it's snowing as I type this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had the exact same weather action here too Carrie - so hang in there and keep thinking warm thoughts.
      Chili does just hit the spot on those days, doesn't it? Even if I don't do a "walking chili" I always put fritos instead of crackers in my chili too. Yummy!! xo

      Delete
  6. Ooh snowy! It just looks beautiful where you are, Carrie, do you live right near a lake? No snow here but some forecast later. The wind has been howling too, it woke us up during the night! That chilli looks delicious, super warming after standing in the cold! I've decided we're going for heat tonight with dinner - spicy Thai crab cakes and a green thai curry. Stay warm! xxx

    ReplyDelete