Friday, March 27, 2015

Five on Friday: Hawaii




Happy Friday to All! Yay the weekend is here!!  And seeing that it's Friday I am linking with Amy at Love Made my Home for Five on Friday


For my 5 today I was inspired by my scrapbooks when I was working on them recently. I was looking through my travel album and browsing through some pages of when my hubby and I took a cruise in Hawaii. 

My son was 8 at the time and my daughter only 2&1/2, so it was our first big trip that we took with no kids (nice romantic getaway). My sis-in-law's family was doing a reunion on a cruise through Hawaii and my bro&sis-in-law asked if we wanted to come along and have a nice getaway. I know several of my SIL's immediate family pretty well and just love them so it was a very comfortable situation so we jumped at the chance!  My hubby has a great sense of humor and lives to joke and tease and he came up with the idea to do matching t-shirts and naming our trip. He & I also worked on funny names for everybody for the backs of their shirts (you can see us all in blue shirts above). So our trip was the Tiki Tour 2009. Some of the funny names we came up with for folks were: poi boy, pineapple princess, speedo inspector (for a single gal) Lol - and my hubby is a fair redhead & sunburns easy and made good fun of himself and he put 'mister blister' on the back of  his shirt. 



The cruise was a really nice way to do Hawaii as we were able to cover many islands in an efficient and easy way. This allowed us to have many different wonderful experiences and see a lot! And the cruise was so wonderfully organized at handling the activities we had signed up for at each island. So here's 5 great experiences we had in Hawaii:


When you're in Hawaii of course you want to do a luau! It's fun for the food (wonderful pig roast) and great entertainment. It's also a wonderful way to learn more about Hawaiian culture.




We did the Molokini snorkel excursion. I have had the fortune of snorkeling in Mexico too and it was one of the most fun and amazing things I'd ever done. My hubby didn't have a lot of snorkeling experience so I was so excited to share this with him. You can see in the photos on the right we had fun with an underwater camera, and in the top pic I even dove underwater and was showing my hubby the way! Lol If you look at what I wrote below the bottom pic on the right you can see I like to make fun of us too. 



In Kauai we did an ATV mud buggy tour. My hubby talked me into this one and I wasn't sure what I thought about it. It was truly one of the craziest things I've ever done! It was quite adventurous as we had to drive through dark caves and go through huge pond like puddles full of muddy water that would splash so big over us we coudn't see. As the passenger it was my job to keep cleaning my hubby's goggles (the driver) so he could see. We would go down large hills with hairpin turns - that's why we had to wear helmets as sometimes people flip over!! Quite adventurous for me and my hubby absolutely LOVED it and was so proud I was a good sport. This island is where they filmed movie Jurassic Park and you can see they like to give folks a funny experience and in bottom right pic the guy running the program took a photo of our ATV looking like a plastic dinosaur is chasing us. I had to wash my hair 3 times to get all the mud out by the way!!!




My hubby and I love golf and golfed on 3 different islands during the course of our trip. I put the photos from this one of us at the Kona country club course, as there were huge wild turkeys all over the course! And that was fitting to me as I birdied one hole! Which if you play golf you know is a good thing! Lol





And we couldn't go to Hawaii and not visit Pearl Harbor and visit the historical USS Arizona memorial. They ferried us over to the memorial and, out of respect, everyone walks around in complete silence as it's the grave site of so many men who lost their lives on Dec. 7, 1941 during a surprise Japanese attack. They have a large memorial wall with all the names of the men. If you look at the photos on the right you can see that there's still oil leaking out of the Arizona into the water after 70 years. They refer to it as "Arizona's Tears".  A truly moving experience and an important landmark to remember in our history.


We also did a really neat helicopter tour over a volcano, but I didn't include that in the 5 as my hubby got quite motion sick and didn't enjoy it as much as I did - poor guy. 


Wishing you all a wonderful weekend!! xo  


18 comments:

  1. Brilliant scrapbook and a great way to record your wonderful adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's my favorite hobby & I agree that it's a great way to preserve memories. ;)

      Delete
  2. Scrapbooks are a great way to remember all the good times from vacation. I'm visiting from 5 on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by Linda & I completely agree that they are a great tool for memories.

      Delete
  3. What wonderful memories and great experiences you had! It must have been a fantastic time. Thank you so much for sharing with us! I hope that you have a great weekend. xx Thank you for joining in! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx so much Amy! I love your 5 on Fri - so fun & thanks for hosting! Hopes you have a wonderful weekend too. Xo

      Delete
  4. Your books always look so good! Looks like a great vacation too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Mari! It was so much fun & I'm so glad I did the scrapbook as a fun way to remember that trip.

      Happy weekend! Xo

      Delete
  5. Looks like you had a fabulous time and got to see all the islands. Your scrapbook is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx so much. It was a great trip & we covered most of the islands. Fun to look back at the memories. ;)

      Delete
  6. Lots of lovely memories in your scarp book, it's a lovely way to keep them together x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! It's definitely my favorite way to look back on memories too. My daughter especially loves to sit down together and read them like a good book. ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh, I absolutely loved this post! You can feel your happiness as you write (how wonderful!)....it seems like you had an absolutely amazing time (what memories!)....I would definitely be on the mud buggy tour straight away!!! [Love your scrapbook pages!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fantastic trip!! I so know you'd be a mud buggy Gal Helen! Lol It was a ride of a lifetime that's for sure! xo

      Delete
  8. Hi Carrie, I've called in via Five on Friday. What a gorgeous record of your holiday. Hope you've had a good weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for popping by! And thank you for such a nice compliment. I treasure these albums and hope my kiddos will love having them all one day. xo

      Delete
  9. What a fantastic trip you had and how nice to have those memories in a scrap book, Carrie! Thanks for sharing :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sharing my scrapbook memories with my dear blogland friends, like you! ;)
      Thanks for popping by dear Alison my Gal. xoxo

      Delete