Saturday, March 28, 2015

Scraptastic Saturday: Office Organization

Today I wanted to share how I recently better organized our family office space and it's also my personal crafting space.

When we first bought our house I was a little bit bummed that there wasn't really a designated office space. It only had 3 bedrooms (the master & one for each of my kiddos), and it had the downstairs bonus room - which we turned into a media room. But there was a little room that held the hot water heaters and the fuse box etc. As half of our house is old and the other half newer, this room was sort of created during some renovation before we bought the house. Well there was enough space to this room that we could make it our office space.  So we came up with some solutions to hide some of the other uses in the room.





The hot water tanks are in a sort of raised basin area so our solution to hide them was to put up a wall of curtains that would blend with the room, but hide the heaters and pipes we didn't want to have to see.



Another area we didn't like looking at was a long fuse box on the wall. I covered that up by putting up 2 burlap pinboards that together were big enough to hide that space. I used it to hang my calendar and fun photos of friends and family. We don't have a fridge that is magnetic so this was also a great spot to hang those photos I might have put there.



We definitely needed a designated desk space with a spot for the computer and printer, as my hubby often will work on things at home.



I've been slowly accumulating some fun baskets and containers to better organize office and craft supplies. Not only to make things easier to find, but it gives the area more character and charm. On the computer desk I have a basket to hold rubber bands, paper clips etc and it holds my fitibit stuff as I sync and charge it at the computer. I also love the little "garden bucket" that holds my address labels, thank you cards, memo pads etc. The flower on that bucket is magnetic so I can move it around. The mug that holds pens my son made for me long ago and says that I'm the "best mom ever" in case you wondering. Lol






I especially wanted a nice area to do my crafting and of course scrapbooking! This drafting table fit the bill and I use it often! My hubby helped me put up some nice shelves too...again for character and charm,  (& I just love my silly little knick knacks).



I have a big travel caddy with scrapbooking tools that I keep in the closet for when I take my things on a scrapbook retreat, but this little caddy is just right to fit on the drafting table with the necessity items.



This rustic looking set of drawers is perfect for my little brads and buttons and things.



This cloth box holds my glues and other materials like lace and felt.




And I have a few other baskets and boxes around the room to hold other items. The first basket photo holds some current little projects (like Annie's cookbook and pages in progress) and also my albums that keep my photos organized chronologically.  The middle photo shows a round box that holds my ribbons and some other boxes that hold loose photos, some scrapbook papers and sets and one box for die cuts and large stickers and pieces. The last basket photo shows the basket that holds all my card making supplies.



So hope this post maybe inspired you with some storage ideas and solutions too.  And in all honesty these photos were taken shortly after I organized and Spring cleaned everything. I took a photo of my scrapbook area just this AM and here's the truth of how it usually looks:

But truly, what good is a nice clean and organized craft space if you're not using it, right? 



I'm linking with Andrea for Scraptastic Saturday.










14 comments:

  1. You were really creative in setting up your room. It looks really nice.
    After Laura got married, I used her room as a scrapbooking room and I loved it. I could leave a layout out on a table if I had to quit in the middle of it. Then I started doing digital scrapping, so I didn't need the room anymore. It's now the room Alaina uses when she stays over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! I know that I'm probably only a few years away from doing primarily digital too (other than finishing the kiddos' school years albums). I still love traditional paper craft scrapbooking, but it is far more time consuming.

      I bet it's even more fun having a room for sweet grandbabies. I dream of having that someday too - God willing. ;)

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I really like that rustic set of drawers. Overall it looks like a fun little crafting space.
    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I just loved that little chest too and couldn't pass it up. Plus, it really is perfect for all my littlest crafting goodies.

      Happy weekend to you too! xo

      Delete
  3. Oh, goodness....I was in awe that your scrapbooking desk looked so tidy and was so pleased to see the last photo! [That's more or less what my scrapping space always looks like - add a few more layers! It's like an archaeological expedition when I try to find something that I used a while ago!]....love your ideas for storage and what creative solutions for hiding the parts of the room you didn't want on display!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - the last photo is truly reality Helen! Lol

      And this room was very similar to how yours sounds until very recently. It has tended to be where ALL of my things accumulated. So I'm determined to keep things a bit more 'in their places" now that I have it better organized and know where everything is....finally!

      I had been meaning to go through this room and make these changes forever. Feels good to finally have it complete. ;)

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Hi Carrie, your crafting stuff looks very organised! Your "messy" pic looks like my craft room at its tidiest lol . I especially like the inboards covering the fuse box, that's really clever :)
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill! It only looks that tidy "now". Lol Give it a month or 2. ;)

      Happy week ahead Hon! xo

      Delete
  5. You have made your little office/crafting space into a lovely place to be. I like your ideas for covering up the things that you don't want to see, they don't just hide things, they actually add to your space which is great isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Amy! I do think the added solutions just bring a bit more charm too. It's definitely my favorite room to be in as it's where I'm most creative.

      Happy week to you!! xoxo

      Delete
  6. I did almost the exact same thing in my craft space Carrie...put a curtain over the fuse box. Great minds....;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you mean great geniuses..... ;)

      Lol! Happy week ahead Doll! xo

      Delete
  7. How good you are to share your craft space with your hubby!! LOL. I bet it felt great to get it all organised and tidy, but I am glad to see the last photo of your desk in use.
    My sewing room as I call it, is in a proper mess, am too embarrassed to show photos at present! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd been meaning to organize it for ages - so it truly felt like a great job done! Of course it keeps getting loved & used regularly now - but at least I have a place for everything when I do pick up! Lol

      Delete