Monday, March 16, 2015

Happy Homemaker Monday





Happy Monday! 

I hope you're starting to feel nice and Spring-like wherever you are in the world. It was a lovely weekend here and the Spring bug keeps biting. I was out enjoying beautiful weather the past few days.  I also went with family and friends to a local Celtic concert on Friday which put me in the mood for St. Patty's Day on Tuesday. I had a wonderful lunch out with a bunch of my girlfriends on Saturday (so fun and love them!!).  And my hubby and I  did some more good cleaning and even got out our deck furniture out (now I'm sure I'll have "jinxed" everything and we'll get a blizzard soon).  I also finally changed my blog to a lighter look. So I guess that means I'm ready to dive into a new week!




 THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

For the lovely weekend we had it's a bit cooler today & gray and rainy. It's supposed to only be in the 40's most of the week. However, for March and where I live that's wonderful - so I'll take it!

 

ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

Nice hot coffee with hazelnut creamer and 1/2 of a sourdough english muffin with peanut butter and honey.


  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

Only the tiniest traces of snow in the front of our house. The back hill is completely free of it now and some if the grass is even turning a little green - yay! The rain should help get rid of the last little bits of snow anyway.  And I think I may have spotted my first robin too. Now that makes me smile on a Monday.

 

RIGHT NOW I AM:

Making out the usual grocery list in between typing this up. Not sure what I want to add this week yet for meals.  Also, waiting for dryer to finish and throw in next load and need to get my daughter to school soon, so getting her ready. Then need to go grab my mom-in-law.



AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Everything is still pretty neat and tidy from the weekend. Need to accomplish a few more tasks, but that's the life and jobs of this Mom and they're never really done! Lol 



ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

Run to the grocery store as I mentioned and maybe run a few more errands with my MIL. Might bake up a treat later this afternoon too & make dinner to bring with my MIL when I bring her home later.



CURRENTLY READING:

I was kind of bad about reading this past weekend.  Not sure what book I want to dive into next.



ON THE TV TODAY:

I'm missing all of my PBS shows - Grantchester and Downton Abbey both done now. I have some Greys Anatomy to catch up on and of course my Good Wife!



ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

Figuring that out yet - especially the in-laws meals, but we got out the grill this weekend so I'm thinking I may grill something (maybe even just good 'ol burgers) and potato bundles (or called hobo packets sometimes around here). Just throw some sliced potatoes (& I usually throw in some carrot too) in a big folded over piece of aluminum foil and add a few pats of butter and lots of seasonings or even fresh herbs. Roll up the foil tightly and place on the grill to cook with the burgers.  I'm also thinking some kind of chicken dish (maybe browse my pinterest recipes) and I want to make Mari's cream mint brownies for St. Patty's day and maybe a chocolate raspberry pie recipe I love!



WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

I actually don't have a specific craft at the moment - just doing some scrapbooking catch up here and there.


NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

Mari's cream mint brownies look so good! Here's her post about them.



TIP OF THE WEEK:

Whenever I brown ground beef I line a bowl with aluminum foil and drain the grease into it. Then I either leave it out on kitchen counter in colder spot in the winter, or in the fridge in the summer, until it hardens. Then fold up the foil and toss it the garbage. No mess. 




FROM THE CAMERA:



PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:



I'm linking with Sandra at Diary of a SAHM for HHM


15 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to greet me today, my friend. : )
    I hope to get started on sprucing this place up for spring.
    After a week of sickness, I am anxious to get after it!
    Steve asked me to take it slowly...
    And I'm listening!!!!
    Have a great week...
    We are having cabbage, potatoes and bacon tomorrow.
    And Peyton is making our traditional Lime jello poke cake for dessert. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're feeling better - but still playing it smart & taking it slow.

      Your menu sounds fun & what a perfect treat to end on! Now I want to make some poke cake. Lol!

      Hope you feel truly tip top soon. XO

      Delete
  2. I keep meaning to start grilling now that the weather has improved but I have yet to...
    Those brownies sound really good - I'll have to check them out since I was just thinking I should make a special dessert for tomorrow.
    I love peanut butter and honey together! :)
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my favorite things about Spring is that first dinner off the grill. It just makes the end of winter official.

      Really yummy brownies! I definitely recommend. And Billie Jo's tradition of lime jello poke cake sounds fun for tomorrow too. ;)

      Wishing you a wonderful week!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good start to the week, Carrie! Love that your snow is melting and you got to get out and enjoy the girlfriends and see the Celtic concert. I can't believe March is half over! Good tip about the beef drippings and thanks for the recipe link. So nice of you to cook for the parents - what a sweetie! Hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how fast this month is flying by too! It truly was one of those lovely weather & lots of fun weekends. I hope yours was wonderful as well my Dear!

      I love cooking for the family. The least I can do to give back to those wonderful folks - God has blessed me with a treasure of a family (in-laws included). And my family is the reason my sun shines. ;)

      Happy week to you Karen! Xoxo

      Delete
  4. The celtic concert sounds fun. I miss Downton too!
    Hope you like those brownies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those brownies are as wonderful as I remember!!

      The concert was great - a beautiful singer that played the harp, along with other wonderful musicians. Also, parts of the concert had Irish dancers too. So fun!

      Happy week ahead Mari! Xoxo

      Delete
  5. Great tip on the hamburger grease. I usually use paper towels, but your way is so much easier and cleaner.

    Have a great week :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to share a tip with someone I consider queen of the kitchen! ;)

      Happy week to you too. Xo

      Delete
  6. I was wondering when you were going to change the pics on the top of your blog. I like the bunnies, that is one of my favorite things…bunnies. I had a real rabbit growing up, named Bugsy, I only had him for a couple of years, I got him from my cousin when she went away to college. Softest fur ever, and he wasn’t a one of those cute miniature bunnies, he was a full size rabbit!! Loved my Bugsy!!

    I thought I got my grill out early!! Those potato bundles sound yummy, will have to try those. I officially grill for Memorial day, I may throw some hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill before then, but I do my big all out grilling on Memorial day.

    Look on the bright side, if you happen to get a blizzard, at least you’ll have some place to sit and watch the snow fall. ;-)

    Have a wonderful week, hon!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bunnies!! My Grandma lived in the country & they often had bunnies, besides cats, dogs, & chickens! Did Bugsy live in the house? My Grams lived outside. Annie has requested a bunny before, but didn't know how wise with Ruby?

      It's such a sign of Spring to do that first meal on the grill & I just can't wait this year! Lol. The weather this weekend completely infected me with the spring bug & there's no going back now! ;)

      Oh & I forgot to tell you I loved your comment about your laundry today. I'm with you on those socks. They're obviously the ones up to no good & I keep my eye on them too. (( wink wink))

      Love the way you think Doll (about a nice place to sit & watch a blizzard).

      Happy week to you too Sweetie. Xo

      Delete
    2. No, Bugsy didn't live in the house, my mom didn't like him too much, said he was too quiet. I would bring him in to let him run around in the basement. I couldn't let him run outside, even though he was fat, he was fast. We did have a dog, Hobo, believe it or not he was part Beagle and toy collie mix. First time I put them together, Hobo was like, eh...a rabbit...how nice, and walked away. LOL.

      Delete
  7. Your header looks super-springy now!! Hope your spring weather stays put. We've had rain, sun and hail stones today.
    Ooh, what's a poke cake?? You'll have to educate me :-) Hope you have a super week, lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy I finally felt springy enough to change that header to some "lighter" photos! Your weather sounds incredibly similar to where I live - we always joke that 'if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes and it will change'. Lol We get a lot of variety often. So far sun holding out nicely but temps have been a bit cooler.

      I will add a poke cake to my list to share in a post sometime soon! They're so fun as you can play around with a lot of combinations of flavors and toppings.

      So nice to have you by for a chat. xoxo

      Delete