Monday, March 30, 2015

Happy Homemaker Monday




Hello and Happy Monday! Hope you had a wonderful weekend. It felt like it flew by to me and I can't believe it's a new week already.  It wasn't the nicest weather this past weekend, so I wasn't able to get outside as much as I would have liked.  I did get lots of quality time indoors with my sweet Girl. Our Boys were gone for hockey this weekend but we needed to stay behind for my daughter's drama rehearsal yesterday. So all weekend we played games, read books, watched movies - fun girl stuff. Anyway, on to a new busy week. 



THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS:

  Chilly this AM, but clear skies and sun is shining away. When I let Ruby out early this morning the birds were chirping like crazy. Love that!

ON THE BREAKFAST PLATE THIS MORNING:

Some toast and coffee with girl scouts thin mint flavor creamer - yum!


  AS I LOOK OUTSIDE MY WINDOW:

I see the promise of a nice day, but not sure how warm it will get. Would love to go for a walk later if the weather behaves. 

RIGHT NOW I AM:

Making out my list of errands. Will probably run around with my mom-in-law a bit today. Also looking through some recipes trying to decide if I want to bake anything. Hhhmmmm.....



AS I LOOK AROUND THE HOUSE:

Tidied up my dinner dishes last night, even though I was tired, and it's so nice not to have a pile waiting. Did several loads of laundry yesterday too - so feeling good for daily duties. However, making my list of heavier spring cleaning to get into this week before Easter weekend. It's always the time of year we deep clean many areas, plus we host some family for Easter so that's extra motivation for extra cleanliness. Lol 



ON TODAY'S TO DO LIST:

Finish making my to-do list. Start planning Easter menu and think I'll run and get all of those groceries a different day this week. Looking at my calendar and checking the appointments and goings-on of this week. Brought my in-laws dinner last night so may just take a break tonight and do something more simple or eat up old leftovers, so will just run other errands and only grab some minor groceries  today.



CURRENTLY READING:

I actually started reading a funny new book on a whim this weekend. It's called "I'll have What She's Having" by Rebecca Harrington and it's basically one gals exploration in dieting. It's quite hilarious as she's trying every fad or celebrity diet out there (from what I've read so far) - but she has a great sense of humor about it all, and some of the diets are beyond hilarious. She's written it in almost a diary or blogger style. I have a bunch of books I put as samples on my ipad, as it's a nice way to read the first chapter or several pages and get an idea if you'll like it without having to buy it. I just happened to start reading that one as I must have put it on there in the past, but I'm truly enjoying it.



ON THE TV TODAY:

Call the Midwife started back up last night! Yay!! Love that show and had been missing it! I watched that but still need to catch up on the Good Wife and some cooking shows I've taped. 


ON THE MENU THIS WEEK:

Not sure what I want to make for in-laws this week. May just do an easy go-to I know my dad-in-law likes (he's the fussier one). Maybe tacos or some kind of meat and potato dish. Will be more focused on gathering my groceries for ham dinner for Easter. I've already ordered and gotten my ham(comes with crunchy sweet glaze already on it - so yummy!) and it's in my freezer. Then we usually do cheesy hash brown potatoes, a strawberry & spinach salad topped with my homemade sugared pecans and poppyseed dressing, corn, crudite, dinner rolls and deviled eggs. I think I may make a special cake for dessert this year that I haven't made in ages - so stay tuned for info about that one! Also, I usually make individual fruit pizzas (basically on a cookie) that my kiddos just love! 



WHAT I AM CREATING AT THE MOMENT:

I have been catching up on my travel scrapbook and it's been SO fun remembering trips of the past. I really am itching to work on my mom's family heritage album too as I've accumulated such fun items for it!  And I have a fun new idea for a unique page in it. I've also, started some new cards I will share in the future.


NEW RECIPE I WANT TO TRY THIS WEEK:

I made the honey mustard chicken tenders and they were yummy and crispy but i think I would rev up the honey mustard flavor more next time. I made an old family recipe of my mom-in-law's for old fashioned lemon bars this past weekend that are so good and I will share recipe soon. Been looking at some different poke cake recipes (other than ones I've done before) so I can show my friend Alison at Life at Sylvan House blog what one is in the future as she wanted to know. So still stay tuned Alison! Lol


TIP OF THE WEEK:

I think this is such a great tip - however I'm not very good at it! Lol When you have a set of sheets a great way of keeping a set together and organized is to take your folded fitted and top sheet and place them in the pillow case that goes with that set. Then basically you're just stacking nice filled pillow cases on your linen closet shelves and not all kinds of separate pieces. However I struggle with this as I'm the worst folder of sheets! Lol I hate that part of laundry. Maybe it doesn't help that we have a giant king bed which equals huge sheets and I'm short!!! 


FROM THE CAMERA:
Feels so good to be catching up!



PRAYER, INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE OR DEVOTIONAL:



I'm linking with Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.

25 comments:

  1. Yum - am awaiting the lemon bar recipe with baited breath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned Helen!! Lol ;)

      (probably post it Thursday) xoxo

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful tip for the bedding, I am going to give it a try. Love the menu for Easter the cheesey hash browns sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could only fold - it'd be an even better tip! Lol

      I'll share my Easter recipes soon. Love that meal - so yummy! Thanks for stopping by and happy week ahead! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Love your inspiration this week! I have tried but never could get a handle on doing the sheets that way.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamy! Maybe we both need to attend a folding workshop - and then just get lots of practice I guess. ;)

      Delete
  4. You are a busy gal - I have a busy week ahead of me, too. Currently have a stack of boxes staring at me needing to go into storage and a very messy house full of dog hair. Monday, Monday! I love 'The Midwife'! I keep recommending it to people and they look at me strange......, but it is such a great show! Of course, 'The Good Wife' is right up there on the list, too. The food you are serving has my mouth watering......Hope your week goes smoothly for you! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well don't work too hard sweet Lady! I've recommended Midwife to several folks too, but they don't seem convinced. Lol My Mom and a best friend of mine watch it though, so we compare notes.

      Hope you week goes well and you get everything done. I'm back to work cleaning up before the Easter bunny visits. Blessings for a beautiful Easter holy week ahead. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Happy Holy week!
    We are busy planning our menu as well.
    So far we have ham, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole.
    I am thinking of making the bunny face cake for dessert. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohhh - yummy! I want to see the bunny face cake!! Photos if you do Lady! ;)

      Happy and blessed holy week to you dear Gal. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Sounds as though it is going to be another busy week - but very tasty meals - at your house. I hope that you don't have to spend too much time running errands or cleaning. I need to get some lamb for Easter dinner, must remember to put that on my list for tomorrow! Hope you have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lamb sounds lovely! Is that a traditional meal for Easter in England? Hope your week goes smoothly as well and don't work too hard! Keep being good to that shoulder. xoxo

      Delete
    2. I don't know if lamb is traditional all over England, but it certainly is in my family, the whole spring time thing with lambs I guess! xx

      Delete
  7. Hello, my comment got eaten, so sorry if this is a repeat. Hope that you have a good week and some time to relax in between the errands and cooking. All of your food ideas are yummy! Hope you have a good week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m not a big fan of lemon, but I do love lemon bars, look forward to that recipe. I also like that tip, so clever!! Some years ago when my washer or dryer was on the fritz I had to take my laundry to the laundromat. You could actually drop off your clothes or bedding for the ladies there to wash and fold, they charged by the pound. Anniehow…I would watch them fold all those fitted sheets so nicely, and I just asked them to show me how to do it. It isn’t that hard, and I have been doing it ever since. But I can see your dilemma…king size versus fun size, LOL. My daughter had a shirt that said, “I’m not short, I’m fun size.” I couldn’t resist. ;-)

    Have a wonderful week dear gal and hope your family has a wonderful Easter!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa!! I love that I'm fun size. I'm keeping and using that one to anyone who'll listen! "I'm not short, I'm FUN SIZE!" Lol

      I have actually seen youtube videos about how to fold those bloomin' sheets and I still struggle - ugh!! I need some laundromat ladies for hire that I would gladly pay to do that for me! ;)

      Happy Easter week ahead. xo

      Delete
  9. Hi Carrie, I'm returning the visit! Have a blessed Easter week, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Easter dinner plans sound fantastic!
    I love lemon bars so I will be looking forward to checking out your recipe!
    By the way my family LOVED your pasta salad! It was a nice change from our usual. Thank you for sharing!
    Blessed Holy Week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! And I'm so happy you liked the pasta salad. ;)

      Happy Holy week to you and your family too! xoxo

      Delete
  11. The chicken tenders and lemon bars sound *so* good! Your mom's family heritage album sounds like a neat project; I always enjoy studying my family's history...and my grandparents just brought over some of my step-grandmother's diaries for us to look through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops that would be my grandmother's step-mother, so my step-great-grandmother?! Hard to keep everything straight!

      Delete
    2. I think heritage albums are one of my favorites to work on! Those old photos are such treasures aren't they? I did some albums for my Grandma before she passed away and I'm so proud of them. I will share about them more in the future.

      Happy week ahead dear Gal! xo

      Delete
  12. Haha! I will look out for the poke cake! Shame I don't live nearer, I could show you how to deal with those sheets - a student job as a hotel chambermaid taught me everything about sheets! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn! I could have my own pro sheet folder to mentor me - but you're an ocean away!!! Maybe you should make a special video & could post it? Lol

      Delete