Friday, March 20, 2015

Five on Friday:Getting Ready for Spring!




Happy 1st day of Spring! Yay, it's officially here!! 


So I thought for my 5 on Friday I would share the ways I'm preparing for Spring. It's so nice to have it really showing up this year too. The past couple of years have been cold and snowy around here this time of year (I feel your pain out East friends!). But this year we seem to be right on track. As I type this I can hear some geese flying over. They're BACK!! And they're starting to look for an open spot on our bay. The ends have opened up a little, but not quite fully open yet. Hopefully soon. Anyway, here's my 5:



I've been getting out the Spring furniture and accessories! I know I talked about the fact that we have our deck furniture and grill out now in the back. In the front of our house, though, I have this old bench (need to get a new one or swing this year!), and I recently got some nice springy bright cushions for it. I've left out my lanterns from the holidays as I like that they're on a timer and still light up at night.





Next, in relation to the accessories I'm getting ready for some gardening!! I've been pulling out my watering cans, tools, and pots from our little shed in the back of our house. I can't wait to be able to pick up some annuals to plant in my pots! I'm also narrowing down which garden table I think I'm going to get this Spring. I'm so excited that I'm actually going to  have a little veggie garden this year!!! I can't wait!




Third on my list is some new Spring bedding.  Our winter one is too heavy and I needed a new Spring bedspread this year. I recently found this one and haven't put it on the bed yet, but soon! Our room is a warm neutral kind of slate gray color with cream woodwork. Our furniture is all warm brown tones(the bedspread is leaning against the headboard of our sleigh style bed). So I love that this bedspread is a pretty cream color (still has that warmth) but with beautiful flowers embroidered all over it. I also have extra pillows when I make up the bed that have some embroidery, but in pretty colors. To me it's the best of masculine and feminine feel together for a master bedroom.





Next, I've been researching Spring recipes! Not only on my pinterest, but also in my cookbooks. This is a gooseberry patch one a dear friend gave me as a gift. Hi and shout out to Ker! It's a hardcover one with beautiful photos and wonderful seasonal recipes. I have several other softcover gooseberry patch ones too. I have a collection of all kinds of cookbooks  and I read them over each season like a great novel! Lol  Look at that pineapple upside down cake. Mmmmm.  And a recipe for deviled eggs. I always make some of those at Easter and I have pretty flower shaped trays where the egg halves sit in the petals. 





And finally, I'm getting my organization mojo in high gear! My little office/craft room has become a cluttered nightmare. I've been kind of throwing everything in there lately and it's getting more difficult to find anything. So I recently went and found some cute storage options: baskets, boxes, and caddies to get things better organized and functional! It's one of my favorite places to hang out, but when it becomes too cluttered it's hard to focus!! It will take some work but will be well worth it to have my fun space back.




So that's how I'm getting ready...how are you getting ready for Spring? 

I'm linking with Amy at Love Made my Home for Five on Friday. 




 






24 comments:

  1. Love all your storage solutions. Getting the garden ready is top of my list for preparing for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'll show my completed office soon with how I used some of the items. I'm so excited to have a garden this year. I know it will be a bit of a learning process but the benefits from the work will be wonderful!! ;)

      Delete
  2. Love your post! I've also got the spring cleaning bug and have spent all morning 'streamlining' those 'difficult' places in our home....sick of seeing so much 'stuff' (and I have far, far, less 'stuff' than usual....funny how our tastes for our home surroundings change as our mental scapes change too!)....have a GREAT weekend!!! Helen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO TRUE Helen! I swear I'm almost different person from winter to spring/summer in what I want. Lol

      I hope you have a wonderful weekend dearest Gal! xoxo

      Delete
  3. Love to see what you are doing for spring, Carrie! I am in love with your new bedding and that watering can would be coming home with me! Somehow I would convince you that I needed it! Lol! I am with you on trying to organize the craft room. That is the one space I can never keep neat! So happy it is spring, finally! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - you know I'd be a sucker for you Karen and you'd definitely be going home with it after I filled it with a bunch of flowers for you. ;)

      I've made good headway with my office/craft room and will do a post on it in the future (good motivation to get it done right). Lol

      Happy weekend darling Gal. xoxo

      Delete
  4. This post made me so happy! Glad I'm not the only one who can't seem to stop thinking about Spring! (Despite the snow falling outside my window at the moment!)
    I love your watering can. We planted our first vegetable garden last year. It was a lot more work than we had anticipated but well worth it. My husband and I felt so proud of the fruits of our labor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good - not only a Spring lover - but also a newbie gardener! I know who to go to for my questions/mistakes in the beginning. Lol

      That's what so exciting to think about, for the work i put in I could receive some yummy benefits!! I think my daughter will love working on it with me and good therapy for my mom-in-law with Alzheimers.

      We're ready Spring - bring it on!! xoxo

      Delete
  5. What wonderful spring preparations! I hope that you can get out in the garden very soon and enjoy spring! I have seen some of your own and the other delicious recipes that you have been pinning - very tasty indeed!! Thank you so much for joining in! I hope that you have a great weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dishes this time of year sound so yummy don't they? Such nice light wonderful flavors!!

      I can't wait to get a jump on things and shouldn't be long now. I will share lots of photos as I go and I'm sure I'll need the knowledge of many of you veteran planter people. Lol

      Happy weekend and keep resting that shoulder!! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Spring is just great, isn't it? I always feel like getting everything ready at once. I might just paint our garden bench tomorrow. have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best - when it shows up in my area. Many years we just sort of have winter until summer all of a sudden shows up. Lol I'm so grateful for a true Spring this year!!

      I hope you paint your bench a nice fun color! My bench is pretty rough and I really think I'd love a swing out front so may need to go on the hunt for that instead.

      Happy weekend. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Loving your spring things!
    I love you lanterns outside.
    Perhaps I shall borrow that idea!
    Have a cozy evening! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks Billie Jo! It's even prettier once my pots of flowers surround everything too. I'll be taking lots of pics as the season goes forward.

      Happy weekend Hon! xo

      Delete
  8. You've been busy! I like your Spring things, especially the new bedding! You've made me want to go out and look for some too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling energized this Spring since it's actually showing up!! Lol

      There is just something about new bedding that can just change the whole feel of your room, isn't there? Happy hunting if you go looking (& take pics!) ;)

      Happy weekend to you my Dear! xo

      Delete
  9. Love that bedspread Carrie!!! We are still below normal temps. and rainy down here. Your weather makes me pack faster to move home!
    Margot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you just have to hurry up and get your buns up here Margot! Lol Spring actually showed up to the party this year and it's wonderful!!

      Happy weekend! xo

      Delete
  10. Hello Carrie. Stopping by from Billie Jo's blog to say hello. I love how you're getting ready for Spring. That bedspread is really pretty. Makes me want to ditch mine and get a new one. Happy Spring from snowy Pennsylvania!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully not snowy too much longer, you poor Eastern Lady! Lol Keep Spring in your heart and it's got to show up sometime, right? Someone out your way needs to send old Man Winter a memo.

      Thanks for the nice comments and for stopping by! Happy weekend to you! xo

      Delete
  11. I LOVE that bench!! Always wanted one like that. Also love the idea of the lanterns...and that box with the little metal drawers!! I would buy that and have to buy something just to go in it, LOL. I love little organizational things like that with drawers.

    I haven't done anything yet for spring...been fighting a cold the last couple of days...UGH!! Enjoy your weekend!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Sweetie! I love organizational things like that metal drawers too & they help me be motivated to WANT to organize. Lol

      Hope you feel better soon so you can get "springy". Get lots of rest & have some good soup. I'd bring you some chicken & rice if I could. My recipe is under my recipe tab.

      Have a restful weekend! XO

      Delete
  12. Hey, don't rub it in! lol I was wearing earmuffs today!!

    Ok, so your list is almost like mine. I'm hoping to have a veggie garden this year too! Maybe we can compare notes, because I don't have a clue! That's a very pretty watering can. Almost too pretty to use ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you worry my Dear - your earmuff days have got to be numbered now!!

      OH I love that plan Doreen! We can share notes and try to figure out this gardening thing together. It'll be interesting - but we'll have fun encouraging (& making fun of) each other!

      xoxo

      Delete