Thursday, March 26, 2015

Raspberry Pie & Potato Bundles

I love this raspberry cream pie from the Pioneer Woman. I have made it several times and it's always a winner!  It's so yummy, yet refreshing for Spring and Summer as it's a freezer pie. It's got creamy and sweet, yet a little tart filling from the raspberries, and chocolate crunch from the crust. Just so good in every way!! 



If you click on the link above it will show the full recipe and how to make it. But I'll show you the basics:


First you get your oreo chocolate crust going. You can buy either already finely crushed crust already done. You can crush up oreos yourself in your food processor. Or you can go the rustic route like I did and just crush them up a bit with your rolling pin.




Then get your raspberries going by mashing them up with some sugar and letting them hang out.




Finish getting your crust ready by adding some melted butter and pushing it all down in your pie plate. Bake for a few minutes. I love that it looks like dirt from a garden. Lol




Then take some raspberry yogurt and vanilla pudding mix and mix it together in your mixer. Once blended add some heavy whipping cream and whip it together for several minutes.




Then fold in your berries gently.




Spread raspberry cream into your crust. Then put in freezer for about 10-15 minutes or so to get hard enough so you can then take it out and cover it without wrap sticking and put back in freezer for at least 30 minutes or until you're ready to serve it. If it's not a hot day you'll want to let it sit on counter and thaw a good 20-30 mins before serving. If it's a hot day and you serve outside it will start thawing much faster! I like to serve it like Ree shows it with some whipped topping, more crushed cookie crumbs and fresh raspberries over the top.



The other night I brought this dessert to my in-laws to go with dinner that I had made which included burgers off the grill and these potato bundles i did on the grill:

I love throwing these on the grill with whatever meat I'm serving because they're so versatile. One tip for any veggie bundle is to spray the aluminum foil with a little cooking spray first. Then add veggies of choice, a little olive oil or butter (or both) and seasonings of choice. In this case I had used thin sliced carrots and red potatoes also sliced thin. I also had sliced onion on top but added it last, as I almost forgot it, so didn't get photo with it on top.  A couple of pats of butter and some seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, thyme and dried parsley (I didn't have fresh). But I love shaking it up and using other veggies: zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, squash - any vegetable you'd like to roast in the oven you can throw on the grill too. 



I usually use a double thickness of foil, pull the 2 big sides together and roll up together and then roll in the sides. Place on medium grill and put cover down and grill for 20 -30 minutes depending on thickness of veggies. So I made a bundle for each person. It's so nice because everyone can then have their own little bundle of veggie goodness. Yum!!


This was a lovely Spring meal but this the kind of food I LOVE for summer!!




12 comments:

  1. Wow, that pie looks absolutely decadent! Raspberries + Oreos.... Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura - yep can't go wrong with creamy raspberry filling and yummy chocolate! ;)

      Delete
  2. Yum! It all looks so good! I really like your rolling pin too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! I love the temptations cook ware on QVC and have several sets and one included a pretty pie plate and rolling pin. Great stuff, hand painted, and very affordable (freezer, dishwasher, microwave, and oven safe - and most come with lids to storing too).

      Delete
  3. That pie!!!
    Thanks for the recipe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely trying the potato bundles on the grill!! That is...when I actually pull the grill out again...you know what happens when we start pulling our summer stuff out too soon, LOL. I think I'll be safe to do so in...like...May, :) My mom did mention she wanted me to grill some chicken for Easter. That was just the other day actually, and it snowed this morning!! Go home Mother Nature…you’re drunk!! (like my teens would say, LOL)

    Have a great weekend hon!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be sneaky about it & don't say you're grilling out loud. Maybe if Mother Nature doesn't hear you say it she'll miss the grilling entirely & weather will then be fine. ;)

      Here's hoping on a beautiful Easter!! Xoxo

      Delete
  5. Ree would definitely approve of your rustic approach to the pie base! When I see her shows she often says that she calls things rustic! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think you're right Amy - I think she would too. I think they say rustic often equals more texture, right? Lol Either way it was good! xo

      Delete
  6. Oh that pie looks good, raspberries are one of my favourite fruits! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! There one of my faves too! I don't know if I've ever met a berry I didn't like. Lol

      Delete