Friday, March 13, 2015

Five on Friday:Flowers





Happy Friday to All! Three cheers for the weekend!! It's supposed to be beautiful weather here this weekend (60* on Sunday!) so I'm beyond thrilled. My hubby and I were already talking plans about getting out the deck furniture - a true sign of Spring.


I thought for Five on Friday today I would share my 5 favorite flowers and why.  I don't know that I've ever met a flower I don't like - but I do have a few that are my very favorite, each for different reasons.  So here they are:

My number 1 favorite flower would have to be the rose.

And specifically the red rose. It's such a romantic flower to me. So beautiful, fragrant and timeless. My hubby has always sent me red roses for special occasions in the years we've been together. And as you can see my wedding bouquet was red velvet roses, white lilies and holly. (We were married right after Christmas). So red roses to me = LOVE.



As you can see, all of my bridesmaids had smaller versions of my bouquet too and wore dark green velvet. I guess velvet was the Christmas time thing to wear back in the 90's. Lol  So yes, red roses are #1 to me.




I also love lilacs! I don't know if there's a more beautiful smell in the world than the fragrance of lilacs. They're definitely my favorite for that.



These are from a lilac bush at my in-law's house. I don't have my own lilac bush, but need to change that sometime soon! So I grab bouquets from them every year.




Here's that new back hallway again - but I put out my silk lilacs for Spring. Will replace with real ones once they bloom!



Next I would have to say I love hydrangeas. I love a lot of these old fashioned, or I like to say, timeless flowers. I use hydrangeas a lot in my decorating with dried or silk flowers.

I love them in every color! I have a hydrangea shrub, but it's never bloomed since the first year I planted it - no matter how I try to make the soil acidic or other ways of taking care of it. The leaves come in, but the flowers won't bloom. May need to think about transplanting it to a better spot this Spring. 




I would say next that I love peonies!! I think they are such a gorgeous big puffball of a flower. Just love their big cream puff shape. They are also timeless to me and just gorgeous in general. 


These pics of peonies are from my mom-in-law's house. When she was still able to garden, she transplanted these from another house to her current house, and they've been growing beautifully ever since along their fence. I steal a few each year to put in my kitchen window.  I just love the color of her peonies. SOOOO pretty. 



Lastly, I would say I love the fuschia and begonia equally. They both remind me of my Grandma - who always had both of these flowers out by her feeders for the hummingbirds. They will forever remind me of her so I have some of these around my home every summer.



fuschia in our well in the backyard


begonia in my kitchen window right now


I have to share a few "honorable mentions" though, as it was hard to come up with just a top 5. I also love wildflowers so much and pick little bouquets from my back yard every summer. I especially love daisies because my Mom has always loved them. But I have wild buttercups, Indian paintbrush and Queen Anne's lace as well.

one of my wildflower bouquets from last year


Of course I need to mention tulips and daffodils for being the first to greet the Spring and make me so happy! And I love hanging baskets of flowers and putting them around my house:

Hanging flowers on the deck. Also our firepit on our deck last summer (can't wait to be sitting by this again soon!!)

Sending you all flowery wishes for the weekend and linking with Amy for Five on Friday.









20 comments:

  1. This just made me happy!!!!
    Lilacs are my fave...
    My mother had a huge lilac bush in our yard when I was little.That smell takes me right back every time. : )
    Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm SO glad Billie Jo! We had a lilac bush when I was growing up too and when I smell lilacs I swear I'm 6 years old all over again. Lol

      Isn't it wonderful how sense of smell can trigger memories that way? Happy weekend dear Gal! xo

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful choice of flowers, I am loving daffodils and tulips at the moment a sure sign spring is on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am loving them too! I pick the up at the grocery store when I'm able just to have around the house for now. It's amazing how a little bunch of flowers just brings sunshine into the house!

      Delete
  3. Ha! I can see you had a hard time narrowing it down. I love hydrangeas and am surprised this year to see that they are actually being sold here in the nurseries. They certainly won't be able to survive our harsh summers. Have a good weekend, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right Tammy! Lol Especially right now, I swear I love any flower that's in my sight!! I've just been so ready for Spring - so I did have to really think about which were the tippy top of my list.

      Happy weekend to you!! xo

      Delete
  4. They are all beautiful flowers! I am a real lover of flowers too and would love to be able to arrange them properly! Your fire pit is amazing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa!! That firepit is my absolute favorite spot on a summer night. But for now I'll just take the warmer temps and promise of early Spring! ;)

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful flowers!! All so lovely. I love peonies and hydrangeas too. How great that your husband always remembers to send you red roses for special occasions!! Make sure with your hydrangea that you are not cutting the buds off when you are pruning it. They are on the very ends of the stems/stalks and if you cut them off they will not make any more flower buds until the next year. It is easy to do by mistake, so that might be the problem. Hope that helps! Thank you so much for joining in! I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my Amy-girl! Great tip on the hydrangeas! I honestly hadn't heard or thought of that before. I hope I can help the poor dear get blooming this Spring. We're going to do some other new landscaping too - so stay tuned! Lol

      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Lovely selection of flowers, all such old-fashioned favorites! My Mother grew peonies and I need to try and grow them. I love them! I love your lilac vase and doily :) Beautiful bride and so sweet to get red roses from hubby. xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks sweet Karen! I think flowers can be wonderful in how folks can transplant them and even keep the memory of a former home or loved one. Nature is such a gift that I can never say thank you enough for it!!

      Hope you're having a lovely weekend. xoxo

      Delete
  7. I'm pretty sure I couldn't choose just 5. But daffodils and tulips would definitely be on there :)
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was difficult trust me Jill! Lol!!

      I do love them all - but tried to think of the ones that make me smile the most and have the most meaning.

      Blessings for a beautiful weekend. xoxo

      Delete
  8. Your wedding pictures are so pretty!
    I agree 100% - I can't think of a better scent than lilacs.
    My wedding bouquet was all hydrangeas. We had the same problem with our hydrangea plant this past Summer - it was the first year that it didn't bloom. :( It's usually a gorgeous dark purple shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet that was a beautiful bouquet Laura!! I'm guessing your wedding was in the summer?

      Did you see Amy's tip up above about the hydrangeas? Maybe that could help you as well?

      Hope you're having a wonderful weekend. xoxo

      Delete
  9. I agree with your choices, except I would have tulips in the top five and not roses. I can see why you chose roses though - your wedding bouquet as gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love tulips too Mari! And almost felt guilty not having them on the list as grocery store ones have brought me such joy lately- but I went with the most meaningful flowers I could think of that I really loved.

      Happy weekend darling Gal! xoxo

      Delete
  10. Hi Carrie, playing catch up here! Love your wedding photos, you look so happy :-) All gorgeous flowers, I have them in my tiny garden! Lilac smells amazing doesn't it? Apparently if you scald the cut ends of the stalks in boiling water before putting them in a vase, they will last longer. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks Alison for such sweet comments. Dec.29, 1995 was the best day of my life next to my kiddos coming into this world. ;)

      Great tip about the lilacs!! I'm writing that down. Thanks again. xoxo

      Delete