Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to All!


From what I understand of my family background I think I only have a tiny bit of Irish in my heritage. However, my hubby (the redhead) and my kiddos have a bit more. Unfortunately, this is about the extent of my St. Patty's decorating:



And I think it's kind of sad that we don't have any real Irish traditions or something special we do each year to celebrate it. I've been reading of the March 17th traditions of several of my other blogland friends - and it's been giving me some good ideas for next year.  Would love to hear any other traditions anyone wants to share, as it stirs my creative process and would love to make it more fun for my family too!!


Since it is a holiday of sorts I will share my special breakfast I had this AM. It was store bought, but so yummy and beautiful in a Spring way - as that's what this holiday usually symbolizes to me....that I am that much closer to Spring! 


I know it's not green, but it's definitely special and not the usual breakfast. My daughter & I shared a piece of poppyseed cake with lemon topping (again store bought) and some fresh raspberries. So Springy and yummy!



Since I'm full of holiday spirit (Irish and Spring) I thought I'd share a few more bunnies for fun too. There's a lot of green in the photos if that counts?



Tonight I go to play wallyball with my group of Gal friends, but we're going to go out for a green drink and some appetizers first. Should make for some interesting games. Lol I hope however you celebrate tonight you have a lot of fun and I wish you happy green shamrock thoughts!! 


 


16 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a fun evening ahead of you!
    My husband and I have quite a bit of Irish in us so we both grew up eating corned beef, cabbage, boiled potatoes & soda bread on St. Patty's Day. I also remember my mom getting us green bagels for breakfast every year.
    Your breakfast looks delicious!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely going to share more tradition with my family next year and at least make some soda bread & I love the green bagel plan your Mom did! So cute. I'll have to check at our local bagel place -I wonder if they'll offer green ones next year. ;)

      Delete
  2. I like the Irish wreath!!! We really don't celebrate in a big way. My mom likes to have the corn beef and cabbage deal. I just did the Shamrock Shakes today, since I saw the recipe. Mint and Chocolate, can't go wrong with that!! Enjoy your day and think green!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie - and what a great idea to make your own shamrock shakes. They looked so good along with those cookies!!

      I'll be sure to add to our traditions next year. xo

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Looks like you had a fun St. Patrick's Day Jill! I just LOVED that headband you made - and the wreath. Hope it was a great day for you as well. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Happy St. Patrick's Day, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at ya Hon! And hope you enjoyed your festivities and that poke cake!! ;)

      Delete
  5. The only 'tradition' I know of is the same as Laura's. The Saturday before St. Patrick's Day a group of us gather and go to the local firehouse for a fundraiser dinner of corned beef, cabbage (my fav), potatoes, soda bread and tons of homemade desserts (I ate 2!). I used to date an Irish guy and would make soda bread, but that was many moons ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought to check if we had any places locally that put on a spread. I may need to look into that for next year!

      I think I'll practice making the soda bread one of these days so I will be able to make it next year for sure. Sounds like you have a very fun tradition where you are too. And 2 desserts....you truly are a Gal after my own heart. ;)

      Delete
  6. I like the wreath and the Irish sign! We have 2 redheaded kids, but no Irish in us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari! You must have some Viking redheaded heritage. Lol

      We have the redhead genes (really on both sides as I have several redheaded relatives) - but got dark haired kiddos. Go figure. ;)

      Delete
  7. Your sweet wreath is just the wee bit of Irish you need, I think! Whenever I have a few sips, I always win - hope that holds true for you, too! Maybe it just loosens me up a bit! That is a very delicious looking breakfast. Happy St. Patrick's Day! xo K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! You sure looked like you and the Mr. had a lovely evening as well. We had a lot of fun last night - and a LOT of laughs!! Not a bad way to spend March 17th. ;)

      Delete
  8. Hope you had a super St Patrick's Day. My hubby works away in Belfast Northern Ireland for some of the week but didn't go over this week because of St Patrick's Day being a national holiday. I tell you he got right under my feet at home LOL! no really, it was nice to have him around!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very fun day. I'm glad that you and your hubby got some bonus time together. Always nice to get a break from work, relax and get quality time with family.

      (However, joke or not - I know how it can be when there's "too much" hubby time too) Lol xoxo

      Delete