Monday, December 1, 2014

Blogmas 2014: Day 1 Favorite Christmas Tradition

 
 
I love Sandra's (Diary of a SAHM) plan to do Blogmas 25 days of Christmas. Such a fun idea and a way to get even more in the holiday mood.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to make all of them, but will do my best!
 
 
Today's blogma is about a favorite Christmas tradition.  I was thinking on it and we actually have a lot of wonderful Christmas traditions from always going to Christmas Eve mass and driving around and looking at Christmas lights after....to always baking with my Mom before the holidays and making fun food gifts.  But the one tradition I thought would be really fun to share today is called the "door prize Christmas". 
 
In my husband's family his great Aunts started a game long ago where they would bring a door prize to the family Christmas gathering.  This would usually involved each of them bringing either something nice or funny for the host/hostess. Well the great Aunts are no longer with us, but this tradition continued and over time it's completely grown into its own animal all together! Lol
 
Now the Door Prize Game (as it's still called) involves all the guests/families coming to the gathering Christmas day and each bringing anywhere from 5 to some have brought up to 20 or more gifts (all shapes and sizes and usually the goofier the better)! After Christmas dinner all the gifts are piled up in the middle of the room.  They usually take up the whole floor! Then everyone is handed a playing card and that is their "number".  Everyone takes turns drawing out of the matching pile of numbers to pick someone.  If your number is picked you can either take a gift from the middle or choose to steal one that's already been opened by someone. If someone steals your gift then you get to take a new one from the middle. The game is continues like this until all gifts are opened and what you're left with you get! Lol The biggest rule is that you have to take your gifts home at the end, no matter how goofy or awful. No leaving them for the host/hostess to deal with it! ;)
 
Through the years we've had some pretty crazy stuff. From giant paper mache animals, to one year I won a 5 pound bag of rubber bands!! You just never know what will be in there. Usually there are a couple good gifts...like a gift certificate to somewhere or $10 taped to the goofy gift. These always get stolen back and forth many times in the hope that you'll be the one to end up with something good to bring home. Some years I have laughed so hard at something someone received I was in tears!! 
 
It's a lot of fun and passes the time so fast. Even the kiddos in the family really get into it. Then when the game is done everyone can spend some time trading for a bit so you might still get to go home with something you might want. Then we set up a big dessert buffet and sit and visit and laugh, especially over the really goofy items that year.
 
 
Here's a few pics I found in my scrapbook from one year of the Door Prize Game. My husband's uncle won a weird giant pig. And for some reason it was the year of the goofy hat in the game. The game is usually 3 hours or so long and SO much fun!
 
Maybe you want to start a new tradition in your family? I highly recommend it for a lot of Christmas laughs along with your togetherness.
 


9 comments:

  1. I popped over from Blogmas at Sandra's.....love that you're a scrapbooker too! And LOVE the idea of that game - I can only imagine all the laughter and shenanigans it entails (how fun! how wonderful!).....brilliant, brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen! I'm so glad you popped over!! Please feel free to come by anytime. ;)

      I was just looking at your blog & I'll be popping over often too. Yay for another scrapbooker!! And I LOVE your enthusiasm for the Christmas season. Truly a Gal after my own heart!!

      I love Ali Edwards idea for Dec daily too. I may need to get in on that at some point. What a great idea. I've had trouble finding other scrapbook kinds of folks with blogs that I can relate. Again, so glad you came by!!

      Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. What wonderful Christmas memories!! It sounds as though you all had a wonderful time with the gifts! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a fun game Amy! If you ever want to shake up your Christmas Day (or Eve) I recommend giving it a try! ;)

      Delete
  3. Fun memories! We have an auction with my side of the family. Instead of exchanging gifts, we bring one $10 gift card and one $5 gift. Everyone gets some paper tokens to bid with and my hubby auctions these things off. There can be some bidding wars on some of the things and lots of laughs are sure to be heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a similar fun & goofy way to do a game too Mari! Love it!! Thanks for sharing. The funny moments can really create a lot of great memories. ;)

      Delete
  4. LOL that sounds like such a fun game, and I love that you found some pictures to share too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a blast Sandra! Wish I had video to share of some of the really crazy moments. ;)

      Thanks for hosting fun blogmas idea. Love it! XO

      Delete
  5. Such fun traditions - love the pics with the funny hats! We have one tradition every year - we watch Lampoon's Christmas Vacation while we open presents. I don't know why - it just ended up that way because we love to laugh, I guess. I think we have every character in our extended family :) xo Karen

    ReplyDelete