Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Blogmas Day 10: Show us your cookies or recipes

 
Is this not one of the yummiest times of year?!?  I just love it! I'm so the typical person who starts her new year's resolutions in January and works on my weight and health, but over the holidays all bets are off!! Lol
 
I know in a previous post I showed you the reindeer cookies and faux turtles that we make. And you now have my  prized sugared pecans recipe.  But here a few more things I like to make through the holidays.
 
First up is

 
My Grandma's cut-out cookies.  Sorry if pictures are not as clear. My camera is charging so took them with my phone so I could get this out while I have the time this morning. If you click on the photos you should be able to make them bigger also.  I loved when my Gram would make dozens of these cookies for all the family and friends that would come visit at Christmas.  She had a huge 3 season porch full of windows and in the winter she would keep them in containers out there because they would keep nice and cold.
 
 
 
Here's the photos of my Gram's house again and the whole front lower level where you see all the windows is a porch and where these yummy cookies would dwell at Christmas.

Next up is

 
These pear custard bars are out of an old Taste of Home magazine I've had for years and still use many of the recipes from it.  I often have made these in the Fall as well, but they're a wonderful Christmas time dessert.  Where I live pears are one of the few fruits that are still yummy in the winter and with all the cinnamon spice going on they scream Christmas.
 
These next bars are one of my Mom's favorites and she always requests I make them
 
 
Yummy Almond bars. Again, please excuse the phone quality photos that's why I blew them up bigger so you can hopefully see the recipe clearer.  They are so luscious and creamy with crunchy almonds on top and a slight cherry flavor and just say Christmas in each bite. SO good!
 
I thought it might be fun to end with a non-sweet recipe for the last one. This is a recipe we make for every holiday dinner (Thanksgiving too).
 

 
My hubby's family Calico Bean recipe.  Notice the stains on the well-loved recipe card. Lol! We always double the recipe, brown the 1st ingredients on the stove, then put in the crock pot to simmer away. If we didn't make these we wouldn't be allowed to participate in the family meal!
 
I can't wait to go get some sweet dreams and ideas from the other Blogmas folks! I'm linking up Blogmas Day 10 with Sandra Diary of a SAHM
 
 
 
 


12 comments:

  1. Oh my, I love, love, love handwritten recipes and old recipe cards like these (especially the stained ones, which means it's a REALLY loved recipe!).....my mouth is - literally - watering at all of your recipes....I'm leaving 'you' open in it's own tab to come back at leisure later and peruse/enjoy...and write them down on my own recipe cards.....will be back later (just rushing out now but couldn't resist clicking on your link!)....LOVE your scrapbook page!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you're going to write some down Helen. So sweet. Recipes are such a wonderful way to connect with others & share of each other. And I agree those old stained recipe cards are the best recipes!!

      Delete
    2. I'm back....and have written them down.....funny story....my Gran used to make pear and custard cake and I used to LOVE it....I've been looking for a recipe for it for years (she did not leave a written recipe for it).....looking at the recipe you've posted for the pear and custard bars, it seems like it's pretty much the same recipe my Gran would have used....needless to say, I'm off to buy ingredients now and will be making them this afternoon (I am so anxious to see if they do, indeed, taste like my Gran's cake....how wonderful that would be!)....the calico beans look DELICIOUS too! Will have to try those too!! Thanks so much!!!!!!

      Delete
    3. You're so darn sweet Helen! I sure hope you like the recipes & that the pear bars remind you of your Gran's cake!! The best season for food memories by far. ;)

      Delete
  2. I've never had pear custard bars before. I'd like to give those a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO good! Macadamia nut crust, creamy custard, spicy pear topping. You can't go wrong. Lol

      Delete
  3. OH my word, those are some yummy recipes. You guys are killliinnnnnngggg me today LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Such yummy goodies out there today!

      Delete
  4. The frosted sugar cookies are soooo good!! I love it when certain foods or treats always remind you of a loved one, makes the memories so much more special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the most special recipes. They can bring loved ones lost back for a time when making & sharing those recipes. ;)

      Delete
  5. How lovely of you to share these recipes, the calico beans sound delicious!! xx

    ReplyDelete