Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Day 9 Blogmas: Winter items you can't live without







 
Well, where I live cars can often look like this photo! The cold and snow and can get out of hand in a hurry.  Last winter was almost traumatizing as it was one of the coldest and snowiest I could ever remember!! If it wasn't 30 to 40 below with wind chill (this is NOT an exaggeration!!)... it was a constant blizzard dumping a foot of snow on us! So far this has been a mild winter and I sure hope it stays that way. 
 
 
 
I feel blessed because we have an attached garage. It keeps our vehicles nice and warm, but I especially love not having to be out in the cold when, for example, I'm hauling in groceries or something. That being said, I don't think I could live without my CAR STARTER! Lol It's such a wonderful thing to be out somewhere, like my kiddos' hockey game in a freezing rink, and to be able to start my car before I need to go out to it. When I do get to my car it's nice and warmed up already. I'm telling ya folks - that's priceless where I live!! Sort of related to that..I would also say I couldn't live without the fact that my vehicle has 4-wheel drive. That's almost a must up here in the north.
Essick Air Console Style Evaporative Air Whole House Humidifier
This may seem so odd - but when I was really thinking about it, this popped in my head. In the winter I could not live without my HUMIDIFIER. Due to the weather and cold I mentioned above, our heat is running all the time in the winter. This constant heating makes our house really dry. So we need a large humidifier unit to combat this and keep it from being too dry in here.  The moisture it puts in the air helps with preventing sinus headaches and dry skin - which I always get if it's too dry - and also helps the wood furniture from getting too dry. 


And I couldn't get through winter without my favorite people in the whole wide world to keep me warm.  

I'm linking up with Blogmas Day 9 with Sandra Diary of a SAHM

 
 


26 comments:

  1. What a beautiful, beautiful photo of you all. So lovely. Am amazed to hear about you having such low temperatures.....I imagine you have to stockpile food in case you get snowed in? Goodness, that must be quite scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Helen. It's one of my fave photos of us. When we hear weather folks predict those kind of temps or a blizzard, we do get to the store & stock up a bit. I've lived here my whole life - so I'm a girl of the north & pretty immune to it. Lol

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed reading about your must-haves during winter! We Florida folks would not even know what to do if our cars looked like the picture you showed! Love to look at the beautiful snow pictures; but I'm afraid this woman is staying in the sunshine...now, let me tell you about the summer heat - THEN I may choose to be somewhere else!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny Barbara? I can't imagine living where it's warm all the time. Lol I don't think I would do well there in the summer especially! ;)

      Delete
  3. A car starter is what our oldest daughter asked for for Christmas this year! Hah! Momma don't have one yet! :) BRRRR is right. Those temps are very extreme. I am as far north as I care to be! (Mid Missouri)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your daughter will love it! We border Canada up here, so it can feel almost arctic sometimes! Lol I've been to Missouri a few times. Great state! ;)

      Delete
  4. I can totally understand the need for a sturdy car in all that snow, very important indeed! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. woowwwww!! That's some snow!! I will remember that photo when I complain about the snow here in London lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes feel like we live on the edge of the arctic! Lol

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful family photo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you are well prepared, Carrie - 30-40 below is - well, crazy cold!!!!! The coldest I have ever experienced was 25 below and that nearly froze my bones! Loving that sweet family photo <3 Glad you are having a milder winter! xo Hugs, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well with 25 below you get a pretty good taste of it Karen! Lol

      That pic is one of my favorites. ;)

      Delete
  8. Here I was being all cute, but you give the practical things you can't live without and I LOVE them lol Love humidifiers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love that you were being cute adorable Sandra! Lol

      Delete
  9. Our winter was horrible last year too and I'm so thankful it's better this year.
    I love the picture of your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you can relate Mari as we're practically neighbors! So far so good for being mild this year (knock on wood)

      Delete
  10. Hi Carrie Anne (with an e, lol) Yes, last winter was a bit ridiculous, and I love snow!! I live in Indiana, right on Lake Michigan, so yeah...that lake effect snow can be something else. Beautiful family pic!! Been enjoying your blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Carrie! I'm on Lake Superior - so yep we can relate! Lake Michigan is so beautiful too. Your sweet comments mean so much. ;)

      Delete
  11. Nice family picture and I love that you included them in your things you couldn't live without. Very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want a car starter too!! And I definitely need a humidifier. I'm dryin' up like a prune over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Doreen! Well hope Santa comes through for you!

      I have one word Ms Prune - moisturizer. Lol ;)

      Delete
  13. When we lived back east the remote starter was my best friend! Love your family picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Tamy! I believe it was your best friend as it's definitely one of mine! Lol

      Delete