Saturday, December 13, 2014

Blogmas Day 13: How Are You Counting Down to Christmas?

 
We have always done some kind of advent calendar to count down to Christmas. When my kids were younger we often did the little chocolate calendars. There is almost a 6 year difference between my kiddos, so when my son was little he either had the calendar to himself or his sis was too young to participate.  Once she became of an age to realize she was missing out on those amazing chocolate moments we had to have 2 calendars.  So several years ago I came upon this little rustic cabin calendar (I think at Target) and loved that it would fit into my décor really well and would be a way to easily include goodies for them both.
 
 
I always change out the picture above my little dining room cabinet to this one my son painted long ago in his sweet cherubic youth as I love to remember those pre-teen days. Lol
 
 
So again, here is my little cabinet in the dining room you've seen before, but now it's all decked out for Christmas with the Christmas Countdown Cabin (say that 3 times fast) on top.
 
 
I need to side track for a sec and show you my little bird apothecary jar I made this year. I was loving all of the apothecary terrarium/faux snow globe things I was seeing this year, so decided to make my own. I got the jar at a great discount at Michaels and then put some faux snow fabric in there. I also found a little battery operated light pack at Michaels and put that on the bottom. It didn't leave a lot of room so I found this sweet little bird and gave him a home in the snow. But then it looked too plain to me and needed some color. So I found these mini glittery red ornaments and cut the strings off and threw them in and liked that much better. Voila, my little art project I like to call "Bird on Cherries in the Snow" - it's more impressive if it sounds fancy, right? Ok, enough Martha Stewart moment, back to the calendar.
 
 
Here is a little better photo of it. My daughter is the designated door opener, because let's face it my son is a teenager and therefore either too lazy to open the door, or too cool to open it. Anyway, she opens to the door and there is either 2 candies in there for them for the day. Or if it's empty she knows she can come see me for a little prize for them both.  Now this is usually some little dollar store toy, or trinket from the $3 bin from Target. Sometimes my son makes out with a few $$ instead as it's harder to find a little trinket he'd find fun or interesting. I like to tease and pick on him, but truly he plays along pretty well during the holidays for the sake of his sis if nothing else.
 
 
Here's an extreme close-up on today's door. Looks like chocolate mint candies today kiddos!
 
 
 
A way to count down, though, that is truly important in my book is with the advent wreath. I have always meant to have one in my home, but it's never been a tradition I've started - so there it stops. Plus, it's hard as my hubby is of a different background about spirituality than I am. However, my kiddos get the advent wreath time at mass each week and their weekly religious education class. So we do take the time to reflect on the meaning of the season each week as we count down to what's truly important.
 
I'm linking for Blogmas Day 13 with Sandra Diary of a SAHM
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


11 comments:

  1. Love that advent cabin calendar - so cute. Your house looks so festive. My advent wreath is in need of refurbishing, but you are so right about that being the most important part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Tamy! The kiddos do love it. Amen on the wreath. ;)

      Delete
  2. The advent wreath! I forgot to include that in my post! Too late now.
    I love the little house. Small drawers are so cute; we have one like that with cards for an active advent calendar in. Unfortunately my little onesare no longer little so we're on to chocolate and more chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey nothing wrong with lots of chocolate! Lol

      Delete
  3. Adore, adore, adore your post! Love your rustic calendar and your 'December-scape' on your cabinet.....adorable (love the wooden St. Nicolas.....just beautiful!).....love your bird apothecary jar too...how wonderfully creative! Had to laugh about your son being either too 'bllluuuurgh' or too cool to open the doors (bet he eats the chocolate though, huh?!!!)...beautiful, beautiful post.....thank you (I really enjoyed it!)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Helen! I think we both enjoy each others' posts a lot. I'm glad you get my humor. Lol

      Delete
  4. That little house is so cute! So is the picture your son painted. I love that you still use it.
    We've had several count down calenders, but now that the kids are grown, we don't use them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thx Mari! I think if my kiddos were little we wouldn't do a calendar either.

    I still love my son's painting so much too. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I absolutely love your rustic cabin countdown. SO CUTE! You're very creative with your "Bird on Cherries in the Snow". Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jhona! I think I'm as excited to put it out as the kiddos every year. Lol

      I love my little bird too - I think its a keeper for years to come.

      Delete
  7. Your advent calendar is lovely as is your bookcase display! Very Christmassy indeed!! xx

    ReplyDelete