Sunday, December 14, 2014

Blogmas Day 14: Favorite Childhood Christmas Memory

When I think back to child hood Christmases so much was good. I have many wonderful memories and feel so blessed to have been born to such wonderful parents and having such special extended family.
 
 
When I really got to thinking about it MANY of my favorite Christmas memories happened at my Grandma's - the one that lived in the house on the lake in the north woods.
 

 
Here's some photos of my Gram again - towards the end of her life when she was in a facility due to her Parkinsons.
 

 
And here are the photos of her home and the lake again.  Anyway, Christmases here were magical as a child.  My family and my Gram (my Grandpa died when I was pretty young) and all my aunts and uncles and cousins.  My favorite memories here were on Christmas Eve.  We would go to the Christmas Eve mass where there would be a live nativity.  Then we would come back to the house for a lovely dinner and after gather around the fireplace and the grown-ups would sip Tom & Jerry's and the kiddos would have cocoa. Someone would then just start singing a Christmas song and we'd all join in and keep going this way for a while, when a song would end someone would think of a new one and we'd sing. Some years we would do a build-on story....where someone would start with "Once upon a time" and start making something up for a few lines and then the next person would join in and add a few more lines out loud and we'd go around the whole room.  It was often funny to see where the crazy story would take us!! Then the kiddos would be sent off to bed but we'd be so excited we'd talk and giggle until someone yelled at us to get to sleep.  We'd often hear reindeer on the roof (some Uncle I'm sure rigged up something to make a noise), but we'd inevitably fall asleep and wake up to the wonder in the living room the next morning.
 
 
clip art photo
 
But one Christmas there in particular stands out.  That Christmas we went to mass and they didn't have a live nativity (with folks playing the roles) - but statues up front and they had baby Jesus in a manger.  It was still a very special mass with the beautiful Christmas tree and lights. Some years there would be a knock on the door in the back of church and Santa would come in and greet everyone then come up and acknowledge (bow to) baby Jesus and then leave. But this year there was a knock on the back of church and the doors opened and standing there was a little drummer boy. I learned years later it was a woman dressed like a boy that happened to play the drums really well from the parish.  She (He) slowly processed up the aisle playing her drum, increasing in intensity as she went until she got right in front of baby Jesus and played loudly and beautifully for him. Then she bowed to him turned and played the drum down the aisle all the way back out. I pretty much thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen.
 
So that is one that will forever stand out from my youth. Pa rum pum pum pum.
 
I'm linking with Sandra Diary of a SAHM

10 comments:

  1. Lovely memories. Love how you write about your Gram and her home. Loved the story about the little drummer boy too: amazing what things stick in our memories, no? Love your scrapbook pages too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw - thanks Helen. I think that's one of the neatest things about this whole blogmas deal is that it really makes one go down memory lane. And you're so right - that it's surprising what sticks out down that lane. ;)

      Delete
  2. Ooh! I miss live nativities! I'd forgotten about them. I was actually Mary in one at a church in the town I grew up in. I was maybe 4 or 5. Everyone took turns dressing up and being out in the cold. It was a super cold winter. The church was on the main highway going through town, so it was pretty important. ;-) Thanks for reminding me of that memory. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet that was one magical moment Anna! I think live nativities are so special. God bless for more magical memories this Christmas!

      Delete
  3. You have such beautiful, meaningful memories Carrie! Your grandmother's house looks like it was so nice, and I'm sure the location made it even nicer. I bet you miss her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much sweet Doreen! I'm not embellishing a thing. Everyone in my family also talks about what an incredibly special place it is...almost like hallowed ground.

      I miss my Gram so much and still have trouble remembering she's not on this planet anymore...but then I remember she is still here through me and my family and our treasured memories. xo

      Delete
  4. We play the "Once upon a time" game with my parents. The kids have so much fun laughing and making up wild stories. My Dad rolls his eyes in mock frustration at the twists and turns of the tale which makes it get even wilder. We've gone to a few live nativities this year! I grew up participating every year for 9-10 years. Great fun! Love the memories of your Grandmother's home and all. I enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jhona! It's so nice to know someone else who played that game! It was so fun and goofy and especially when it was the turn of a little kiddo to share - it was crazy what twists and turns it would take! Lol

      Thanks for sharing your memory too!

      Delete
  5. Such wonderful memories, thank you for sharing them with us. You obviously had wonderful Christmases all together as a family. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx Amy! It's been so fun to share this way.

      Delete