Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Eve of the New Year

It's almost 2015!?!  Where did this year go???

It's a nice cold one here today. They had wind chill warnings earlier but it did finally creep above zero so they dismissed them. However, the wind is howling like crazy and it's a good day to snuggle in with something warm to drink. 

I decided to make a little cocoa bar by our keurig. I knew the kiddos would love it...especially for the remainder of Christmas break and with their friends hanging out over here.

I thought we had some candy canes left from Christmas but they seem to have disappeared. Hhmmmm...

Otherwise the usual goodies are present.  Keurig cocoa cups for the machine or good 'ol packets to put in hot water. A container of marshmallows, some candy cane kisses on a snow man plate(they'll work in a pinch since no candy canes) and some cookies to munch. I just dug around in my cabinets and used what I had on hand.

And of course a couple of mugs at the ready to do their job!

 

We're off to my bro & sis-in-law's home soon for a festive gathering with a bunch of our friends (who also have kiddos) as it's a chance to eat drink and be merry all together while the kiddos run around. We still get to have a fun night out to ring in the new year.

We order a bunch of pizzas and pot luck all the rest. Everyone brings their own fun beverage of choice and there's always lots of munchies and desserts.  I know I mentioned I'm bringing Sandra's homemade twix bars but I'm also bringing apples and this CARAMEL TOFFEE APPLE DIP that is so good and I've made often in the past and it gets gobbled up!

The part where it says put pecans on the top - I actually put those little toffee candy bits on instead and boy is that yummy! I like to serve this dip in a really pretty dish with red and green apples as it makes it look extra festive. I learned a great tip long ago - that if you toss the cut up apple slices in some pineapple juice it doesn't affect the taste but they'll keep from browning all night long! Go give it a try, you'll be amazed at how well it works!!

So how will you be ringing in the New Year? I hope wherever you are and whatever you're doing it's safe and lots of fun. 

See you in 2015!!

 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Hi there, found you whilst blog-hopping, I love the tip about the pineapple juice, even if you could taste it, it's a bit more palatable than lemon juice!!!! I've had a bit of a nosy round your blog, it looks great, I gather you are fairly new - so welcome - I am newish myself having started blogging in about March this year. I look forward to reading more of your posts :) I've never done much scrapbooking, though I do have a bunch of paper and goodness knows enough photographs lol. Hopefully you will inspire me! I'm a crocheter mostly though dabble in pretty much any craft :) Would be great to see you over at my blog emeraldcottage.blogspot.co.uk. Hope you have a fab New Year, we are doing similar, going to a friends house, everyone bringing drinks and nibbles, smaller kids sleep upstairs, older ones get to stay up!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi back at you Jill! I'm so glad you found me and I look forward to visiting your neck of the woods.

      It's my DREAM & GOAL to learn to crochet in the future so I hope you can inspire me as well! I have big plans for future scrapbooking projects and posts so I hope you'll enjoy.

      I've sure been loving blogging so far, especially all the new friends I'm making and connecting with on such a fun level.

      Blessings to you for a very Happy & Bright New Year and hope you have lots of fun tonight with your friends as well making merry. xo

      Delete
  2. I hope that your New Year will be wonderful! Best wishes for all good things in 2015 to you and yours! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx dear Amy! Enjoy and hope you have lots of fun tonight and best wishes for the wonderful bright promise of 2015! See you next year! Lol
      xo

      Delete
  3. I like your hot chocolate bar!
    I make an apple dip that is similar.
    1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    English toffee bits (10 ounces)
    Mix and serve with apple slices - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohhh - I'm going to try this one next time Mari! It does sound similar and here I think mine is more "fluffy" with the whipped topping - yours sounds even more rich. Yum!!
      Thanks for sharing Hon and Happy 2015

      Delete
  4. Love your hot chocolate bar, Carrie! What a cute little snowman jar! Hope you have a wonderful New Year's Eve! Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! The kiddos love it too! Lol

      Happy 2015 to You!! xo

      Delete
  5. Absolutely delicious (I'm guessing but I think it is).

    Have a sweet sweet 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is the best season for eating and wishing you a Happy 2015 as well!

      Delete