Tuesday, December 2, 2014

What Christmas Means to Me


When I think I about what this season means to me many things come to mind.
First of all, tmany childhood memories. I think for most people childhood is when Christmas is so magical.  It's about the excitement and anticipation of gifts and maybe spotting Santa on his sleigh (I tried to catch him every year!)



Growing up we almost always spent Christmas at my Grandma's house. My Dad is 1 of 9 kids so there was always a ton of relatives packed into the house.  Much like my beloved north woods bay; my Dad grew up in a home on a lake in the north woods.  So to go to such a beautiful place each year where we could skate on the lake and spend time with all of those aunts and uncles and cousins was priceless! And we heard reindeers' hooves on the roof each Christmas Eve night (probably a creative uncle) and we'd be so excited we could barely sleep!

 
Above are some scrapbook pages of a book I had created for my Grandma several years ago. They show her house and the lake when we were gathering on the dock for a special moment.  It's such a precious place in our family and in many ways will always mean Christmas to me.
 
 

But I am a Christian Catholic person and my faith is very important to me. So Christmas to me will always be about angels heralding news of the birth of my Lord and Savior Jesus. It is about shepherds and wise men following a star on a night that forever changed the world.
Christmas to me will always be about celebrating this Joy to the World moment.

I'm linking with Sandra at Diary of a SAHM



8 comments:

  1. So beautiful, Carrie - wonderful childhood memories here! I grew up on lakes, too - in New England, with skating parties and hot chocolate and a huge Irish Catholic family of so many cousins we could start our own ball team and then some! Your Grandmother's lake house looks just beautiful. I enjoyed learning a bit more about you. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Sounds very similar. Lol Mine is a big Polish Catholic family, and we often had softball & volleyball games together!! Thx for sharing too. Xo

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post.....loved your reminiscences about your time at the lake as a child and loved your thoughts about Jesus' birth. Loved your whole post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful piece of writing. So lovely of you to share. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your post Carrie. There really is nothing like spending time with family, and especially if it is a big family with tons of people laughing and enjoying the day. Much like you though, I try to concentrate on the real meaning of the season ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my Sandra Girl! And thanks for coming up with idea for us all to share this way. Xo

      Delete